Talk

Advanced search

Can you make a normal garage door have automatic opening when you press a button or do you need a new door?

(6 Posts)
m0therofdragons Tue 30-May-17 17:01:07

All garage doors in the cul de sac are the same design (and pretty as far as garage doors go). It's a standard up and over metal thing. Can you make it automatic? If so, how much does it cost?

Considering buying this house but would need to use the garage for a car due to parking available. But I'm also very lazy 😁

ineedamoreadultieradult Tue 30-May-17 17:03:59

Yes you can. I installed a garage door opener for my dad when I was 15 based on the fact the instructions were in German so it must have been quite easy as well because I am not technical. I think he got the opener from Makro for about £70.

LizzieMacQueen Tue 30-May-17 17:04:13

An existing door might be too heavy to retro fit the mechanism to. I have no idea though.....

MissKittyCat Tue 30-May-17 22:43:22

I had automatic openers added to standard up and over metal doors at a previous house.

MrsOllyMurs Tue 30-May-17 23:40:26

Yes you can - we have done so. Might have got the kit from screwfix, but not sure.....

BoneyBackJefferson Tue 30-May-17 23:46:22

half way down the page ish shows one

amazon do several

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now