Talk

Advanced search

How much to expect to pay a painter and decorator?

(19 Posts)
fleshmarketclose Tue 30-May-17 16:38:17

Haven't used one before as dfil used to do our decorating for free so would be interested to know what to expect before phoning for quotes. Will be redecorating throughout (four bed) but initially starting with large living/dining room and hall stairs and landing. We are East Midlands if that helps.

Trytowin Tue 30-May-17 16:42:05

I got quoted 1800 for hall stairs and landing (plus paint) for a 1930s semi (not a mansion!). Gave me palpertations! Needless to say we are getting quotes elsewhere! so i'd be interested too as I'm in West Midlands.

Bitchywaitress Tue 30-May-17 16:44:16

I paid 750 for our very large hall, sitting room and master bedroom. 2 coats paint, no doors, ceilings or woodwork done.

Bitchywaitress Tue 30-May-17 16:44:41

Including paint and vat

KanielOutis Tue 30-May-17 16:47:20

I paid £1500 for 2 rooms to be skimmed walls and ceiling, 2 coats of paint and glossed on the doors and skirting.

ShortLass Tue 30-May-17 16:52:18

My painter says he charges a day rate of £125. He can give a fixed price for the job if he can be sure he'll be left to get on with it and not tripping over the electrician or taking in a delivery while the plumber's at lunch.

DerelictWreck Tue 30-May-17 17:04:43

These prices are insane shock surely it can't be worth paying when you could do those three rooms/areas yourself over 2 days!

eatmysocks23 Tue 30-May-17 17:11:47

I paid £300 for a 22 Sqm room with ceiling and wooden shelves in bay window. And a trusted trader listed decorator. I supplied the organic paint. He was brilliant and I'm in London

fleshmarketclose Tue 30-May-17 17:17:50

Such a huge variation in prices, I was expecting about £150 per day with me supplying all materials so it looks like I might have to get a few prices.
I know I could have a go at doing it myself but my eyesight is really awful and so not sure I would be able to see well enough to do even a passable job tbh.
I don't begrudge paying but want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off in the process. Will look up the local trusted traders first.

Trytowin Tue 30-May-17 17:29:40

We are giving it a go for rest of house but hall stairs landing has the stair well/ awkwardness. I'm expecting so noone will let me climb anywhere and dh can't do heights! Pole and roller may work but cutting in prob a nightmare. Will keep getting quotes.

I really rate paint pads for walls flesh easy to see where you've been.

Wecks Tue 30-May-17 17:32:46

Just had stairs and landing done £370 Inc materials. If you include woodwork it bumps up the cost a lot.
Not everyone wants to or is able to DIY.

BringMeTea Tue 30-May-17 18:12:59

We are paying 1200 for living and dining room and master bedroom. This includes coving the bedroom and painting the ceilings. They are providing the white for ceilings and we are providing the actual wall paint. In Lancashire.

BringMeTea Tue 30-May-17 18:14:59

Should say that includes stripping paper off 2 chimney breasts.

SleightOfHand Tue 30-May-17 18:21:08

Be cheaper to take an unpaid week off from work and do it yourself. Music blasting, windows open! If you're able to of course.

Trytowin Tue 30-May-17 18:22:45

That's a bargain wecks

firsttimemum15 Tue 30-May-17 18:23:29

Generally speaking £100 per day if you buy your own paint/paper etc.

MadMadamMim123 Tue 30-May-17 18:26:01

My husband is a painter and he charges about 150 a day. We're in the south!

RedastheRose Tue 30-May-17 18:35:33

Ask what their hourly rate is! Much the best way and try and make sure you have someone who can supervise/ make tea and coffee so you know they are working. Used to be much more trusting but have been scammed a few times when given a one off price and also with contractors saying they were working when they weren't so I'm a bit of a cynic I'm afraid.

Lesley1980 Tue 30-May-17 23:00:25

Our living room is 5m x 4m & our painter charged £260 for walls, ceiling, woodwork. We have a large hall with double height wall & that was £310 but he only did the walls & woodwork. He also did the bathroom when he did the hall but that's was just a 4m wall really as half of it is tiled.

he also painted my daughter's room 2 coats of emulsion & that was £60 for 4x3m. He did it in about two hours though going to another job whilst the paint dried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now