Talk

Advanced search

15 viewings in 8 days - no offers

(51 Posts)
Rainsbow Tue 30-May-17 15:36:19

Any suggestions? Feedback internally has been really positively but kerb appeal is the downfall; it's a stones throw from a council estate.

What can we do to get even second viewings?

scurryfunge Tue 30-May-17 15:39:03

How does your asking price compare to similar properties nearby?

Bringmewineandcake Tue 30-May-17 15:40:51

Could you post a link?

PurpleDaisies Tue 30-May-17 15:42:01

There's nothing you can do about the location. I'd sit tight and see, but you might need to drop the price if no one bites.

IllBeAtTheSpa Tue 30-May-17 15:43:59

I'm putting my house on the market within 12-18months (some things need sorted fist) and this is a concern of mine as I have a lovely interior but externally I look onto a storage unit and a main road sad I can't exatctly change it so it is what it is!!
Your in a similar position but try and highlight the positive-for me no noisy neighbours across the street and it's quit after rush hour...
Do you think people are worried about crime rate or is it the look of the houses? How often do your neighbours houses go up for sale- low turnover could mean people like to live there so is this something the EA can highlight "seldom available" etc or put together a comparative crime rating to show it's not a concern?

Rainsbow Tue 30-May-17 15:44:00

It's on for 625, half a mile to mainline station, 100m to multiple bus stops, health centre and 2 good schools. It's a three bed terrace. A two bed similar design but further from the estate sold for 575.

IllBeAtTheSpa Tue 30-May-17 15:44:56

Bloody hell guess your in London?

PurpleDaisies Tue 30-May-17 15:46:38

What have other three bedrooms gone for? Is yours significantly bigger than the two bed terrace that was £50k cheaper?

Rainsbow Tue 30-May-17 15:47:22

Surrey/ London border

Rainsbow Tue 30-May-17 15:48:01

Yes it's priced very fairly. Had three valuations between 620-650.

IllBeAtTheSpa Tue 30-May-17 15:49:20

Has yours been a 3 bed that's been converted into a 3? If so then that's something to think of the fact you've already done that work is desirable (to my dh he'd rather spend £50k more than do it himself)

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Tue 30-May-17 15:53:33

If you've had that many viewings, the price is probably right. And only 8 days? I'd sit tight.

Rainsbow Tue 30-May-17 18:45:05

3 bed including loft conversion which we did. Two bathrooms plus downstairs wc. The other house I mentioned only has one loo. Agent said given number of viewings but no offers, if still the case by end of the week we'll reduce because it must be priced wrong.

user1489844432 Tue 30-May-17 19:07:28

15 viewings in 8 days is not so bad unless you did so called open day where you got 12ppl to view at the same time. I wouldnt drop the price so quickly. I dont think you would be getting people through the door if you were obviously overpriced. Perhaps this is just a sign of cool down in the market and it may take longer than a week to sell unless you are desperate for a quick sale.

Rainsbow Tue 30-May-17 19:08:54

I would have thought we'd be getting some second viewings, at least 1 out of the 15 though.

Rainsbow Tue 30-May-17 19:09:22

No user we haven't done an open day.

monsieurpoirot Tue 30-May-17 19:20:16

Is there a downside viewers are realising only when they view possibly? Dog smell? Noisy road? Scruffy neighbours? Lack of parking? Have you had any feedback from EA?

Rainsbow Tue 30-May-17 19:25:45

Our house is IMMACULATELY as in Obsessively tidy. I've gone totally overboard to ensure it's sparkling. It's a pedestrianised lane but there is off street parking. Every piece of feedback has been "love the house except being too near the estate".

LittleBoyBlue91 Tue 30-May-17 19:36:24

Sell the estate in a good light? Point out your lack of trouble from it etc. Without actually pointing it out , imply that being near the estate is a mute point. Neither positive or negative .

Kokusai Tue 30-May-17 19:37:16

I don't agree it must be priced wrong - if people loved t but eg for £20k less someone would have put in a lower offer.

Has the EA asked people who 'loved it except for the estate' at what price it becomes attractive to them?

Rainsbow Tue 30-May-17 19:40:31

So it's on for 625 but if we reduced we'd have to go below 600 to make it worthwhile, otherwise it'll still be the same buyers searching between 600-650?

BabyHamster Tue 30-May-17 19:44:56

When we've viewed properties but not offered it's always been one of two things.

Either because of something in close proximity to the house which we weren't aware of. In one memorable case it was a rubbish dump with hordes of seagulls circling...but it's​ usually something less bad but still enough to put is off.

Or because the photos were so flattering they were TOO good and when we got there it was actually a bit disappointing.

I'd agree with a PP though. 8 days isn't that long. We're buying a house right now (also London borders) and it was on for a month before we came along and put an offer in (lots of viewings though).

Noeuf Tue 30-May-17 19:45:06

Is it not obvious how near it is? If it's so bad it puts people off it might be worth making sure that's obvious so you don't waste people's time and yours.

How bad is the estate that it's so awful to live near?

BabyHamster Tue 30-May-17 19:48:34

If a house was on for 625 then unless I loved it and thought it was a total bargain at asking price I'd probably offer about 590 anyway. I tend to look at houses in the price bracket above what I can afford for this reason. So I'm not sure you should reduce yet.

Rainsbow Tue 30-May-17 19:49:40

It's honestly fine. Most houses are privately owned but they are obviously originally council by style iykwim. It's a big estate but we've lived near it 5 years and been no trouble. Literally if we lived around the corner we'd be under offer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now