Talk

Advanced search

Double storey extension and pp

(18 Posts)
slithytove Tue 30-May-17 14:33:39

Can anyone help me find out definitively if i need pp for this idea? I have been told different things by different architects and don't want to work with one who isn't being honest.

We want a double storey extension in the same style as the existing building. 4m wide by 3m deep, no idea on height.

We are 1m from our boundary to the left (facing the prospective extension) and 10m from our rear boundary.

Rubbish diagram attached. Our house is identical to the neighbours. Any help or guidance would be wonderful, google hasn't helped me to understand it any better. I think right to light may be an issue?

Pigleychez Tue 30-May-17 15:01:44

Try the planning portal website. It shows on an interactive house as to what requires planning.

slithytove Tue 30-May-17 15:14:47

Yes so looking at it, point 3: eaves and roof height will be an issue for me as I am within 2m of boundary.

But what does that mean? The eaves no higher than 3m max. Is that from the ground? Where are eaves measured from?

didireallysaythat Tue 30-May-17 15:24:13

Check if extending to the front of the existing house is allowed - normally an extension can only be set back and not often flush. The deeds sometimes stipulate this too.

slithytove Tue 30-May-17 15:31:29

It's the rear of the house

mum2015 Tue 30-May-17 15:40:29

3m height is for single storey extension. all those online resources are confusing. I searched a lot and couldnt find clear guildelines for two storey ext.

slithytove Tue 30-May-17 15:43:26

Did you get an extension in the end mum?

Do you know what the restrictions are for double storey?

wheresthel1ght Tue 30-May-17 15:45:14

I believe from my own research that if it is 2 storey then you will require planning permission.

But why not just ring your local planning office and ask?

BunloafAndCrumpets Tue 30-May-17 15:45:22

I think you will - it's too near the neighbour boundary. But a call to your council planning dept should clarify this - do they have a contact number? Ours are phone -able and very helpful.

mum2015 Tue 30-May-17 16:13:43

Our house extension plan is still with architect. He hasn't finished drawings so not yet applied. We anyway had to apply for planning as we are looking for wraparound ground floor extension.

Somewhere in diynot forum I read the interpretation that you can do 4m single storey or 3m ground+3m first floor for detached house though now I cant find the link. Main concern with depth of two storey is it shouldnt cross 45 degree and 25 degree rules for neighbouring house windows.

namechangedtoday15 Tue 30-May-17 18:40:46

In my view, yes you'll need planning permission. Its not the width and the depth that is the issue, its the fact that you're so close to your boundary.

slithytove Tue 30-May-17 20:29:33

New architect came round today who has shown us how to avoid needing planning which is good. Same double storey extensiom, but move the first floor in by a metre so the upper floor extensiom is 2m from the boundary.

ShortLass Tue 30-May-17 21:23:35

You should apply to your council for a certificate of lawful development and be doubly sure. It's worth it for both peace of mind and to avoid any problems down the road.

Your council website should tell you how to go about this. Or just give the planning department a ring.

didireallysaythat Tue 30-May-17 21:36:45

Sorry - I was confused.

Our single story extension was covered by permitted development but for the extra £150 (out of the thousands you'll spend) the architect recommended getting planning just for the peace of mind when coming to sell on. Only takes 6 (?) weeks.

slithytove Tue 30-May-17 22:11:20

Apperntly for us the additional drawings are £500 which doesn't include submitting to the planning department

1200 for architect with building regs only
2000 for architect with building regs and planning

didireallysaythat Tue 30-May-17 23:58:19

OP ok yes that's a difference ! I've been no help at all, have I smile

I guess we did it the other way around (permission plans and then the detailed building regs plans for quotes). Worth checking your planning portal (alas we can't phone ours, its more a "£50 to ask a question online" kind of department) but our neighbours planning permission plans were literally drawn with felt tip pens, no approximate measurements, just a general sense of what it would look like) so they may take an freehand interpretation of your building regs plans if you wanted to get planning. I think given the close boundary I might consider it but I now appreciate the cost implications for you.
Good luck !

didireallysaythat Wed 31-May-17 00:00:43

(although £800 is less than 0.5m^2 of the mn rule of thumb for extension costs - and closer if 0.4m^2 after VAT if the rule is accurate for where you live)

slithytove Wed 31-May-17 09:40:04

You have been helpful! Because had the cost been different, I would have got pp just to have it as you suggest. And for 800, I may still. The time delay is something else to consider as well.

We have been quoted £1250 plus vat per m2 - this is a mid range quote

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now