Talk

Advanced search

Unforeseen estate agent fees

(6 Posts)
daffodilbrain Tue 30-May-17 13:53:32

We sold dm's house via agents 18mths ago a previous agency is now claiming commission costs (via a third party collection firm) even though at the time they were well aware we had appointed a different agent who went on to secure the sale and didn't mention anything about commisson fees payable if another agent secures the sale. It doesn't seem fair when they had plenty sole agency time to sell the property. Can they do this? I can't find t&c's at the moment to check but it seems a bit strange.

Herschellmum Tue 30-May-17 13:59:57

Depends, some can. We were tried in with our for 20 weeks I think and then we had to inform then and any sale in the next month they were entitled to the fees for. But really depends on your terms and conditions ... mine was express. Horrible horrible estate agents.

Kokusai Tue 30-May-17 14:26:44

Check the contract.

PuckeredAhole Tue 30-May-17 14:31:23

Who introduced your buyers to the house. If it were the agents that are trying to sue you then they have a case.

WatchingFromTheWings Tue 30-May-17 14:33:55

I've heard of this before so I know they can. You'll need to find the contract and check.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 30-May-17 14:53:07

Yes - if you had signed with them first there is usually a clause that if the property is sold within a certain period then their fees will be payable even if they didn't introduce the buyer.

Alternatively if they introduced the buyer initially, then after the period of lock in , that buyer went on to buy there may also be a clause covering that. It is fairly standard and something that you should check before going with a different agent or negotiate your way out of this clause (with written confirmation) if they are prepared to release you from it.

I assume it must fall within one of the categories.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now