Talk

Advanced search

What have we done?

(7 Posts)
renomom Mon 29-May-17 20:28:44

I'm just having a moment of clarity.
We've accepted an offer on our home that we adore but have now outgrown sad and we've had an offer accepted on what could potentially be the perfect forever home.
The problem is at the moment it a wreck, we have planned to move back to my dads why we do the work with two kids in tow we can't afford to rent while the work is being done.
Planned work is as follows; re-wire, extension, kitchen, bathroom, put in a downstairs WC and en suite and full re-decoration.
Are we mad to move back in with my dad for a few months, has anyone done this and survived! Lol could we survive living in it with all the work? Have we made a massive mistake? Should we just have bought the 'move straight in house' confused

ColdCottage Mon 29-May-17 20:34:15

I know a number of people who have bought a mobile home, popped it in the garden and then when they have finished with it sold it back for almost the same amount.

Personally I couldn't live with my parents for more than a few months even without children but only you know how well you and your dad get along and how the strain of having you all around for a number of months would be.

If you think it will be x amount of months - double it to get a realistic idea of how much time it will be. These things always take longer.

Good luck, it sounds an exciting project and worth the strain long terms to me.

prettywhiteguitar Mon 29-May-17 20:37:03

Yes I know people who have bought a caravan and put it in the garden, I think if you get on with your dad it would be nice respite to go to his for weekends but really you need to be on site to manage the building works. How old are your dc ?

Bluntness100 Mon 29-May-17 20:38:26

Can you get part of it done, make it liveable, and then move in? Rewire and extension done then move in whilst the rest is being done?

Katmeifyoucan Mon 29-May-17 20:40:49

A flat pack extension can be assembled and completed in two weeks. Re-wire, bathrooms, decor etc can all be done during that two weeks. The prefabricated extensions do need to be built in a factory in advance and take about 4 weeks so get started on that before you close but after contracts are signed.

renomom Mon 29-May-17 20:41:51

I never thought of that! One of the main draws to the house is the gigantic garden, my DH is doing all the work so hopefully living with my dad will spur him on to get it done quicker grin
We have done this sort of project before but that was our first home and we lived with my dad through that but hadn't moved our previous so never new any different.
Our DD's are 8 and one we will all have our own separate rooms at my dads but I just don't know if I can cope with him treating me like a child again!

Kokusai Tue 30-May-17 07:57:08

That's really interesting re the flatpack extensions @Katmeifyoucan

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now