Talk

Advanced search

removing artificial grass /lawn

(10 Posts)
kedy Mon 29-May-17 14:19:45

house we are buying has decking and artificial grass - looks very fake in a small garden. how can we remove it and make it alive again with some real grass?

Ginfiend Mon 29-May-17 14:21:30

Google for a company near you that removes and lays lawn? Not something you can do easily yourself

kedy Mon 29-May-17 14:24:07

it is weird, google overwhelmingly results with advice and companies for laying artificial lawn not getting rid of it.

HouseOfGoldandBones Mon 29-May-17 14:30:13

I've gt this in the back tis lovely though

Just roll it up like a carpet & chuck it in a skip. Same way you would get rid of a carpet.

Underneath there will be a layer of fine sand, and a membrane.

Ginfiend Mon 29-May-17 14:49:52

I googled 'replace artificial grass with lawn' and it came up with loads...

engineersthumb Tue 30-May-17 07:21:52

Just run a knife through it and pull it up. There may or may not be a sand bed underneath. In either case turn the soil over with a garden fork and spade then rake the soil so that it's reasonably fine. Level of by either digging out or adding a little soil as you go. Once you've got a reasonably fine and level surface either seed the area waiting 4-8 weeks or turf. Seeding at this time of year is more difficult as you must keep it moist.

venys Tue 30-May-17 07:35:43

We have done it and it is easy to lift up yourself and roll like a carpet. Freecycle it as plenty of people want it and it will save you paying to get rid of it. If the soil is a bit stony then maybe get a mesh riddle to sift stones or perhaps buy some topsoil to put on top and dig through. As pp said I would probably sow in Autumn as it might get a little hot for lawn seed.

Rainatnight Tue 30-May-17 07:42:26

We've just had it laid and it's great. Maybe give it a go?

Possumfish Tue 30-May-17 22:34:23

We had it in our old house... Got rid really quickly, as others have said roll it up like a carpet! I'm glad your getting rid! It's so bad for the environment smile

m0therofdragons Tue 30-May-17 23:19:45

Lift it up and get turf laid which you then need to water well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now