Talk

Advanced search

Beginners guide to extensions

(3 Posts)
Hogterm Mon 29-May-17 07:17:06

We will soon be moving in to a three bed with the world's smallest kitchen. It was a bit under our budget but just felt right when we looked around, is in a nice area and has a lovely garden.

The kitchen is the compromise but all our neighbours have extended at the back and so the plan is to do this to creating an L shaped kitchen breakfast room which will be lovely. We will have about £20k left in the bank due to the house being under budget. Should be able to access additional finance.

I was adamant that I didn't want a project as have two young kids (3&1) and a full time job and no time so was surprised how happy I was to accept this house knowing it needs building work. I have no clue about organising an extension.

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a beginners guide to sorting extensions or could share tips?

I am picturing a conservatory style extension with lots of light but then someone pointed out it will get cold. Is there anywhere that helps with pros and cons of different designs etc? I just feel builders will want a customer who has a view of what they want rather than just a request to see a few different designs.

Thanks in advance.

johnd2 Mon 29-May-17 11:39:37

If you want someone to give you ideas and design something that meets your needs you need an architect, that's their job. Expect to pay a few percent for them though.

indaba Mon 29-May-17 13:10:57

Agree to get an architect as you will get better result but I would suggest live in the house first. Do not rush. Take your time. If you start planning now before you know the house you can make mistakes. There is a website via RIBA called Architect your home which will put you in contact. But please live there first, and you can get to know your neighbours and have a good nose at theirs too, plus get their recommendations re suppliers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now