Talk

Advanced search

tell me what's wrong with having to walk through en-suite to get to brdrokm

(106 Posts)
VeuveLilies Sun 28-May-17 13:28:46

I need to reconfigure ensuite as it's too small.
There's only me so I'd never been situation of using the loo and someone coming through.
I'm not moving anytime soon

Builders and friends/family don't think it's s good idea, but can't say why

Doublechocolatetiffin Sun 28-May-17 13:31:17

I guess it's rather unconventional so you may have to change it in the future if either your circumstances change or you want to sell. Is that your only option?

CotswoldStrife Sun 28-May-17 13:36:01

I assume you mean bedroom? Because it would block the entrance to the bedroom and a lot of people would not want to walk past the toilet to get into their bedroom.

I fail to see how putting an extra door into an en suite would help with space - surely it means that it needs two doors/entrances rather than the one it will have at present?

HeddaGarbled Sun 28-May-17 13:42:56

It may make it difficult to sell in the future. It's not a problem for you because it's just you, but for a couple it could be irritating.

FunnyBird Sun 28-May-17 13:47:09

Might be a problem with fire safety, maybe. Creating an inner room, which means you'd have to pass through another room to escape from the bedroom. Possibly against building regulations (but maybe not because a bathroom isn't habitable).

VeuveLilies Sun 28-May-17 13:48:23

Yes bedroom!
There's a narrow ensuite with corridor to get to bedroom now.
If I knocked the walls down I could make shower bigger and put sink and radiator in the bit that's now the corridor

Lostwithinthehills Sun 28-May-17 13:49:29

Your builder and friends are right. Forcing yourself to walk past the toilet every single time you want to go in or out of your bedroom is a crazy idea. I also think having to go through two doors every time you want to go into your bedroom would wear pretty thin pretty quickly. I wouldn't want to drag laundry through more doors than necessary. On top of which one day the house will need to be sold and such an arrangement will definitely put buyers off. If your ensuite is too small to be viable would you consider removing it all together? While there's only you surely one bathroom would suffice and with regard to selling a larger master bedroom without a compromised ensuite might not be a bad thing.

Lostwithinthehills Sun 28-May-17 13:52:51

So it's a two bedroom house? Does it really need an ensuite? I would get rid of the ensuite and absorb it and the corridor into the master bedroom. What about turning the ensuite into a (walk in?) wardrobe?

BritInUS1 Sun 28-May-17 13:54:06

Absolutely not, I would never buy a house with this layout, it would just be really odd walking through a bathroom to your bedroom.

I agree with others, if the en suite is too small, could you get rid of it altogether and have a bigger bedroom?

GummyGoddess Sun 28-May-17 13:56:02

It wouldn't put me off but maybe I'm in the minority.

VeuveLilies Sun 28-May-17 13:58:36

No its 4 bed, the rest just cut off.
I want an ensuite
When I said it's only me, I meant no partner.
Kids use the other bathroom
Lost- the walk to my bedroom would be exactly the same! I'd have a sliding door to the bedroom which would be open most of the time.

VeuveLilies Sun 28-May-17 14:01:41

The bedroom is already plenty big enough and it would be an odd space to walk through to get to main part of the bedroom.
It's perfectly viable as an ensuite now, I just find the shower cubicle claustrophobic and there's no space when you get out and you have to close the cubicle door so there's no air circulating in there.

PhoenixJasmine Sun 28-May-17 14:01:52

Could you turn it into a wet room instead so it feels more spacious?

I wouldn't want a layout like your suggestion, it would def put me off a house.

monsieurpoirot Sun 28-May-17 14:02:56

If you absorbed it into the corridor/your bedroom you could make that the dressing area then if you do need an ensure have it in the top left corner of your current bedroom. You'd then be able to lose the wardrobes and just have a bed in the bedroom.

SnickersWasAHorse Sun 28-May-17 14:06:01

My worry, as well as the other stuff mentioned, is that the bathroom suite might get damaged when you move furniture in and out of the room.

elizabethleicester Sun 28-May-17 14:09:29

Why don't you move the ensuite to the corner of the bedroom adjoining the existing ensuite and then make the corridor and the existing ensuite part of the bedroom and have the door to the bedroom at the end of the existing corridor? Then you'd have a bigger bedroom and the ensuite could be larger.

Because the pipework adjoins that area already it wouldn't be much more expensive than knocking down the wall to do a new ensuite, it's just a different wall you'd be knocking down.

VeuveLilies Sun 28-May-17 14:11:52

I could turn it into a wet room but there's a sliding door atm and the water would slide out!
I'm thinking something like this

VeuveLilies Sun 28-May-17 14:12:54

With loo opposite the shower

MaroonPencil Sun 28-May-17 14:15:30

When we were looking for a house I would say bathroom layout was the number on thing that put us off otherwise great places - there was one where you could only get to a bedroom through a bathroom and we didn't buy it because of that. Another where the family bathroom was only accessible through a child's bedroom, another with an absolutely huge bathroom the size of a master bedroom but not enough bedrooms...I don't know why people always do such weird things to their bathrooms!

tabulahrasa Sun 28-May-17 14:19:40

I don't think the resale issue is so much that you have to walk through it, it's that if there's a couple, one of them is trapped in the bedroom if the other is using it.

tabulahrasa Sun 28-May-17 14:20:25

Or out obviously

VeuveLilies Sun 28-May-17 14:23:24

How about I keep it kind of like it is but just put sink and radiator in the corridor bit?
Then have a sliding door for the loo bit?
So like the photo, but then the loo has a sliding door?

Lostwithinthehills Sun 28-May-17 14:23:31

I guess the truth is that I would always choose a larger bedroom over a bedroom with an ensuite squeezed in at all costs. Sharing a family bathroom just doesn't seem like a problem to me so, as having an ensuite is important to you, I'm not the right person to be giving my thoughts.

CycleHire Sun 28-May-17 14:26:37

We saw a house like this and it put us off. I do think it would affect future saleability. Listen to your family and builder.

VeuveLilies Sun 28-May-17 14:27:12

Yes Tabul- that doesn't matter to me, but might matter to buyers. But realistically how many times would that happen?
There's 2 other toilets in the house

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now