Talk

Advanced search

Advice on 'cracks in ceiling

(11 Posts)
gingerbubs Sun 28-May-17 11:48:17

I'm pretty much a DIY novice, only really do decorating. We are trying to tidy up our house to sell whilst spending as little as possible. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions of how best to sort out our bathroom ceiling - pictures attached. I am assuming the lines are edges of plasterboard. Is there something I can put over them then paint, short of getting a plasterer in? Thanks!

tatohead Sun 28-May-17 12:53:29

You can sand down, put that mesh tape stuff over, plaster over the gap and sand down but tbh I'd leave it for the new owners!

gingerbubs Sun 28-May-17 19:11:59

Thanks. Tempting just to leave it but don't want to leave any flaws that might put people off that may be easy enough to sort out!

tatohead Sun 28-May-17 19:52:51

Just point to the floor when you show them round wink

DancingLedge Sun 28-May-17 20:33:28

Sand down, apply lightweight filler, smooth, let dry, carefully resand with fine sandpaper, repaint.
Get lightweight filler : it's light, so doesn't sag down with gravity, and dries quickly.

johnd2 Sun 28-May-17 21:37:00

If it really is just papering over the cracks you might get away with rubbing down and painting with some paint designed to fill gaps, but within a season it'll crack again.
The proper solution is to dig it back, use scrim tape bedded into filler and then fill and smooth on top. Then you can repaint.

johnd2 Sun 28-May-17 21:38:25

Having looked again, there could be excessive deflection in the ceiling beams. Is there a room above or a loft that's not just used for very light storage? Another possibility is not enough fixings on the plasterboard.

Moanyoldcow Sun 28-May-17 21:52:54

We had that - decorator said it was movement of the boards - totally superficial.

Filled, rubbed down and painted over. Looks perfect now.

gingerbubs Sun 28-May-17 22:05:26

Thanks all!
John, there's just loft space above that has a few things in but not heavy and we never go up there. I think I'll have a go at sanding down and painting with or without filler depending how it looks. Can't do much harm and hoping to sell quickly and be out in 3 months.
Cheers!

johnd2 Sun 28-May-17 22:50:46

Good luck with the sale!

gingerbubs Sun 28-May-17 23:25:39

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now