Talk

Advanced search

Miele fridge freezer do you have one?

(9 Posts)
happygardening Fri 26-May-17 18:35:24

Just interested in others experiences.
I purchased a tall stainless steel fridge freezer from Miele 3 1/2 years ago it cost over £1000 and it's broken; the fridge is not cold and the freezer not cold enough . The Miele engineer came I explained the situation and even before opening the door he said he suspected it was beyond repair! He then looked at and confirmed the "gas had leaked out". In fairness Miele are behaving very well for a piece of equipment well outside of the warranty and replacing it for £250.
But what slightly alarms me is how quickly the problem was diagnosed the engineer wasn't surprised no "gosh this unusual" or "we rarely see this" when I asked him how common this was he didn't reply.
Has anyone else had similiar problems?

FrogFairy Fri 26-May-17 18:40:10

I have several Miele appliances and mostly luffs them, but I am a bit meh about my fridge freezer. It works ok but there is always a layer of ice under the bottom drawer of the freezer which I chip off when I cba.

SnowBallsAreHere Fri 26-May-17 18:42:56

I have a Miele F/f. It is a bastard. We wanted to change the door seal, called Miele who said we don't sell the seals, they are fixed to the door and can't be changed, it's £1k for a new door, plus fitting. So I glued it.
Then the alarm started going. Faulty alarm rather than anything more serious. We cut the alarm wires. Next issue it's going to be replaced with a Bosch.

tatohead Fri 26-May-17 19:14:14

My mum does, she usually really rates Miele but hers broke, not impressed at all.

happygardening Fri 26-May-17 22:46:54

Interesting we've also got a Miele washing machine and dish washer both are real work horses. On this one I've already had to replace one freezer drawer it cracked for no obvious reason and one door shelf again it cracked neither were exactly cheap and we definitely don't over load either the freezer of fridge.
I remember many years ago when we bought our first flat and buying a Hotpoint fridge freezer and it lasted 13+ years and we only bought another one because we moved had children and needed a bigger freezer and had space for one. Someone was telling me the other day that the life span now on an average fridge is 3-5 years is this really true?

tatohead Sat 27-May-17 05:51:57

We have a Samsung one with a ten year warranty it's been fab so far (4 years)

whataboutbob Sat 27-May-17 08:43:22

Have a niece fridge freezer it's the best I've ever had. Good design, quiet, easy to clean, effective.

whataboutbob Sat 27-May-17 08:44:23

Silly auto correct, that's Miele fridge freezer.

Blodplod Sat 27-May-17 09:10:38

I'm going to be really annoying and use the phrase 'in the old days..' grin but it's true! Appliances used to last.. they don't seem to anymore. I remember having an old 2nd hand washing machine that I had for about 14 years.. nothing went wrong with it, it just trudged on day to day and eventually just broke. It must have been over 20 years old. Since then I went through washing machines about every 4 years! Admittedly though I used to buy the cheapest I could in Curry's... I do now research and generally buy Bosch or other good quality and spend more money on appliances (well, my husband does). However, sounds like you have done the same! I assume Miele is £££.. I'm also suspiciously convinced there's a huge conspiracy for appliances to break just after the warranty.. I'm not really joking either! The amount of times I've heard people say their washing machine, dishwasher etc broke down a week or two after the warranty ran out..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now