Talk

Advanced search

Solicitor getting on my nerves

(7 Posts)
waitingalot Fri 26-May-17 17:22:41

We are in the process of selling our house, enquiries are coming through and we are trying to get everything resolved as quickly as possible so that we can exchange and complete in the next few weeks, hopefully!

Twice now our solicitor has promised to respond to things that very day but on both occasions they just haven't done it despite a reminder email/call at the end of the day. In fact they just go off the radar and don't respond to me.
It's so rubbish and bothering me because it's holding things up and we need to get going asap. I wish they would at least manage my expectations or just get back to me saying they are sorry they can't do it after all.

WIBU to pull them up on this and complain about it?
Maybe I am being a PITA but all I have done is (nicely) asked is that going to get done today and they say most definitely 'yes it will get done today'.

Or should I just accept that's the nature of these things and go with the (very slow) flow?

This house business is so stressful!

Thanks in advance for any advice/comments

Spickle Fri 26-May-17 19:38:28

I agree that the solicitor shouldn't promise to do something and then not do it, however, sometimes something more urgent takes priority and your request is pushed further back in the "to do" pile.

The solicitor would have been better to not promise to do anything for you today, only that they will do their best, though I know some who will promise exactly what their clients want, just to finish the phone call so they can get on with their work.

Remember that you are not your solicitor's only client and the solicitor does have to prioritise their work in order of urgency. While your sale is urgent to you, it may not be to your solicitor in comparison to what other work he /she has.

NeverTwerkNaked Sat 27-May-17 12:45:58

The reality is, if you wanted a solicitor who always responded to you instantly then you would have to pay very high fees so you were their only client!
Am not a conveyancing solicitor, but quite often I think I can manage something that day and then something unexpected kicks off and I have to reprioritise everything

specialsubject Sat 27-May-17 22:28:12

Cobblers. Basic admin - meet deadline that you set. Basic customer care - keep customers informed.

NeverTwerkNaked Sat 27-May-17 22:36:15

Well like I say, not in my line of work, if something major kicks off I have to drop all the routine stuff! I don't know if that happens as much in resi conveyancing but certainly would expect them to be managing a heavy case load if they were any good!

Hmmmwhyisthat Sun 28-May-17 07:04:29

Whatever your line of work, you can't tell a paying client something will be done that day and then just not do it.

specialsubject Sun 28-May-17 18:19:02

So you would have thought...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now