Talk

Advanced search

What are we doing wrong?!?

(21 Posts)
LadyAlanPartridge Thu 25-May-17 20:42:53

Lovely flat for sale.

Found a perfect house but need to sell flat in order to buy.

Couple of viewings.

https://www.yopa.co.uk/properties/details/15134

Any tips on what we can do?

user1489844432 Thu 25-May-17 20:47:07

Living room looks very dark and similarly first bedroom. Otherwise very nice flat. However I guess flats are always more difficult to shift than houses.

SelfObsessionHoney Thu 25-May-17 20:47:48

The master bedroom looks really cluttered, the furniture is large and makes the room look smaller than it probably is.
Doesn't look like there's space for a dining table.
Spelling mistake on agent page - communal.

twentytwotwentysix Thu 25-May-17 20:48:27

Is it on rightmove? If not that's a big part of your problem.

RNBrie Thu 25-May-17 20:49:30

The floor plan is wrong unless the second bedroom really doesn't have a door.

Is it on rightmove?

If it's on rightmove and you're not getting any viewings then I suggest it's priced too high.

twentytwotwentysix Thu 25-May-17 20:51:17

Sitting room is dark in picture and the vertical blinds make it look old fashioned - open them for the pic.

The kitchen is small and to make it look bigger for the pic if remove the bin (just for the pic)

Ditto removing the rattan drawers propped by the loo.

Master bed is crowded - if you can remove any furniture do - even if just for the pictures, but better still if you can weed you stuff down for the short term so that you could put some of the furniture in storage.

SorrelSoup Thu 25-May-17 20:53:07

It all looks nice but you need to rearrange the master bedroom. Can you put the wardrobes at the bottom of the bed?

SorrelSoup Thu 25-May-17 20:53:50

And yes lose the drawers from the bathroom.

LadyAlanPartridge Thu 25-May-17 20:54:38

Thank you for your comments.

Living room is lovely and bright normally and the windows overlook a canal.

The agent did the photos for us and put stuff where she said they would look best!

We are on Rightmove.

To be honest, the price is already quite reasonable for the area.

I don't know whether it's worth getting a new estate agent hmm

NapQueen Thu 25-May-17 20:54:49

I think because its dressed (rightly so seeinf as a family lives there) for a family, but with no access to outside, and without its own front door, its a singleton/friends or couple share flat.

Id get new photos. A few things I would do for the photos;-

Pull the sticky out sofa back as at the moment the side of it is halfway down the other sofa so looks like no space.

Remove the crib from your room, as it makes it look tiny.

Remove all the toys in the cot in that bedroom and the dresser with the change mat on top. Make it look big ebough for a double bed for a singleton to have a hosuemate.

Move the tv and unit out from infront of the patio doors and have the blinds open.

Push the chest of drawers in your room flush against the wall rather than at the angle. Remove all the other stuff at the bottom of your bed.

Have the floorplan redone to show where the second bedrooms door is.

It says in the spec right at the bottom canal views. They need to be in the pics!

Badweekjustgotworse Thu 25-May-17 20:55:00

Retake the photos, in the living room move the sofa back to open up the space, there's dead space behind the sofa in the idle of the picture that makes me wonder if you use it as a corridor and makes me worry about the layout, it's a good big size so show it off to its best. Agree the lighting when that picture was taken isn't the best, blinds pulled and light on makes me think you're trying to hide a shite view. Retake the picture when the room is naturally brightest.
Is your little one in your room with the nursery unused at the minute or do you have 2 kids? If you've just the one I'd suggest taking down the cot in the the big bedroom for at least the photo as there's a lot of furniture in there, also for the photo ale the telly away. People looking at the photos online need to see as much floor and wall as possible as it gives more impression of space. Also silly as it might sound, iron your bedsheets so they look really crisp for the photos!

Badweekjustgotworse Thu 25-May-17 21:00:27

In the nursery could you turn the wardrobe so that from the angle the photo was taken you'd see the front of it instead of the side? And move the changing unit over to where the toy box is? Loose the toy box for the photo and it'll give more view of floor space and make the room look much bigger.

The side of things always makes a space looked cramped rather than a front view if you get me.

If you have a canal view then definitely get it in the photos!! Sounds lovely!

MyOtherProfile Thu 25-May-17 21:00:35

Pull the sofa on the left back. It looks small and cramped as it is and yet there must be space we can't see. And I agree, move the blinds.

FadedRed Thu 25-May-17 21:00:47

Usual tricks of any a theme bright colour, as it looks bland and the living room and main bedroom look dark.
Kitchen: red kettle and toaster, flowering plant on the windowsill.
Living room: light coloured rug and matched cushions.
Bedroom: light coloured silky finish (reflects light) quilt set, matching light curtains, repainted the walls in cream colour. Take the crib out for the photo.
Bathroom: add some colour with nice towels, tooth mug and potted plant.
The description says 'canal views' so you should consider including a photo.
Decide who you are targeting: young professionals or families and adjust the wording.
However the price is the usual decider and 'offers over' is confusing to buyers, especially FTB's. Most people search on price, so do a search on maximum of £90,000 and your property will appear but immediately seem to be more expensive, but on £100,000 search will be several pages in so many people will not see it. IYSWIM.

HundredMilesAnHour Thu 25-May-17 21:02:36

Also, assuming that you plan to get some of the photos retaken, it would be a good idea to iron the bedlinen you use in the master bedroom. Sounds picky I know (and who really has time in the real world?!) but crumpled, used looking bedding gives an air of not well looked after and some buyers may assume the rest of the flat isn't that well looked after either.

I think the price seems reasonable. It looks like a decent flat. Just needs some internal tweaks (as others have posted at length) to show it off at its best and some new photos to reflect this.

LadyAlanPartridge Thu 25-May-17 21:10:57

Right new photos are being taken tomorrow.

Thank you for your advice everyone!

smile

ChicRock Thu 25-May-17 21:13:23

It's the price.

There is a flat for sale on the same street/block as you for £79,995.

Spickle Thu 25-May-17 22:25:06

A 10'3" x 9'4" Master Bedroom is pretty small and I think it would put me off viewing at all. Also, I really don't get these Juliette balconies - I'd want a proper balcony that I could sit out on.

I don't know Liverpool very well but I would say that the price is high-ish. I have seen houses for less than you're asking, but of course the areas may not be so nice.

Coneheadmum Sat 27-May-17 07:36:39

OMG does agent know what s/he is doing? Those pictures could be so much better. I agree with everything people have said so far. For clarity:
a). Iron your duvet cover. No I don't iron mine but I would if I was doing sales photos
b) for the photos take everything off the kitchen counters except kettle and toaster, shove em out of shot (then put them back).
c) Your bedroom curtains - awful and dark. If not too much trouble, take them down for photos. Definitely take crib out of your bedroom for photos
d) Definitely do what people above say for living room.

Finally, I don't think your agent is doing a good price-analysis for you. Look at right move, Zillow etc and do one yourself. It took me -ten- five minutes and I think you are at least 10% over your comps.

If you look over a nice view like you say you do, why hasn't your agent got a picture of that? I might consider switching agents to be honest, if these pix/valuation are the best s/he can do.

Dailystuck71 Sat 27-May-17 08:27:05

Photos are terrible. Property is very cluttered. Screams no storage. Floor plan is wrong. That's what you get going with a cheap agent though. Can you change to someone better?

Strip out the master bedroom so it's just the basics in there. It needs to show you have space.

The pipes along skirting would put me off.

Dailystuck71 Sat 27-May-17 08:28:20

If you were coming in with me I'd have refused to do the photo shoot until the property was ready. It's not. But a good agent would have advised you on what to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now