Talk

Advanced search

Flooring options in a 1930s semi

(10 Posts)
DataColour Thu 25-May-17 11:12:59

We are about to move into a 1930s semi and currently has new carpet laid throughout. The colour is fine, biscuit coloured, inoffensive.
But I like to have wood flooring downstairs. I'm happy with carpet upstairs.

The options are to sand the boards, which I think are in OK condition. We would have to pay someone to do 2 reception rooms and hallway downstairs which is probably quite expensive. I worry about draughts and being cold, even if the gaps are filled in. We'd have to lay down insulation as well.

Other option is to lay solid food flooring on top of existing floorboards, might be a bit more expensive, but DH can lay it, we just have to buy it, so might not be much of a price difference between that and sanding the floorboards.

We have laminate in our house at the moment, and we have very good quality rough to the touch laminate which feels really nice underfoot, not at all shiny or slippery, and I'm temped by that too! But I feel it would be a bit naff in a 1930s house. Our at the moment is new build.

Any opinions on these options?
TIA

bojorojo Thu 25-May-17 18:10:31

You could have engineered wood floor which is usually cheaper than solid wood. Wider planks or parquet would be lovely but not narrow strips. For both you will need to take up and reposition skirting boards or get new ones if you damage the existing ones.

Sanding the existing ones is another option and really depends on the quality of the wood. Cheap pine isn't so good!

No to laminate. Not very authentic! You could try tiles in the hall.

missyB1 Thu 25-May-17 18:15:23

Our last house was a 1930s semi, we took the carpet up but didn't fancy trying to rescue the floor boards so we had Karndean put down (thicker and warmer than laminate). You would need it professionally fitted though.

tatohead Thu 25-May-17 18:21:20

I've just moved from a 1900s semi and we laid solid oak wood over the existing boards, well I think they put hardboard down first to ensure it was flat. It was fine, v cheap as family are floor fitters so got wood at cost too. If you ever think you'll want to sand it down avoid engineered at all costs as you'll only be able to sand it down once or twice as it doesn't have the same thickness of wood.

sourflower Thu 25-May-17 18:35:35

I live in a 1930s semi and DP has sanded down and varnished all of the original floorboards himself. Quite a lengthy process but they look beautiful!

I don't find them draughty/cold under foot at all.

bojorojo Thu 25-May-17 19:22:34

You really don't need to sand down any wood floors at all! Why? They show their age and that's good. We have had wood floors for 30 years and never sanded any of them. Solid wood can be unstable and the engineered with a high mm of wood is very durable. It is usually easier to lay and has much wider choice of colours, woods and styles. Most people would never know the difference.

If you are interested in having a home with authentic flooring that retains the style then wood is way better than Karndean. You really can tell the difference!

TwoBlueFish Thu 25-May-17 19:32:28

1929 semi for us. Had sanded floorboards in the sitting room but it was cold. Now have engineered wood flooring, wide oak planks which looks lovely. We did remove all the skirting boards and replace with new (same profile).

Have you got a curved bay? If you have save the skirting board as it's a bugger to get a new piece to follow the curve.

TeddyBee Thu 25-May-17 21:09:49

I have painted floor boards on the ground floor of our 1930s semi. It looks lovely but is bloody freezing in winter, even with stopgap. Freezing. And strange smells come up from the void in the summer. I will be putting down engineered wood just as soon as I have the money (and energy to move all the damn furniture again)

bojorojo Thu 25-May-17 21:55:00

Engineered wood works well with underfloor heating!!

tatohead Fri 26-May-17 17:47:57

I'd want the option of sanding because ageing and toddler pouring crap all over them and colouring bits in aren't the same thing grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now