Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Easy-to-build decking - does it exist?

(21 Posts)
CointreauVersial Wed 24-May-17 21:00:14

We have an old shed base in the garden which, at some stage in the distant future, we might want to put a shed on.

But in the meantime, it's an eyesore that we want to disguise, and thought about putting decking over it. This could easily be removed in the future.

BUT DH is not what you'd call a handy man. Anything involving banging, screwing and erecting (fnarr...) is beyond his capabilities.

Is there such a thing as a decking kit/easy-build/modular decking? I'm visualising something like a big pallet, where you slot several together to suit.

Does this exist? Where's a good place to find it?

PocketNiffler Wed 24-May-17 21:08:06

What's there currently? Ikea do wooden decking tiles (I think that's what they're called?) that you can lay on flat concrete. I'm guessing other companies do too!

CointreauVersial Wed 24-May-17 21:15:27

Well, it's just an expanse of concrete at the moment.

I'll have a look at Ikea.

I've never bought decking before, but every time I've seen it installed it seems to involve saws, drill and screws. Trying to avoid as much of that as possible.....

RedastheRose Wed 24-May-17 22:21:55

You can get tiles that just click together.

engineersthumb Wed 24-May-17 22:26:35

There are no real short cuts when it comes to decking. Any timber in the weather and sun is going to need restraining otherwise it will wind and twist. If the structure underneath is too light then the deck will bounce as you walk on it. Could you disguise it with planters and possibly paint it?

cestlavielife Wed 24-May-17 22:44:26

The Ikea decking tiles are fab and forgiving on an uneven concrete.
Saw some in Aldi last week too

cestlavielife Wed 24-May-17 22:45:09

www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/flooring/outdoor-floors/runnen-floor-decking-outdoor-brown-stained-art-90234226/

cestlavielife Wed 24-May-17 22:47:57

What about your diy capabilities ?
The tiles don't need any just click together.

Also look at local diy stores "learn to use a saw" days for you and dh. No reason why you cannot do it.

outabout Wed 24-May-17 22:56:43

The video posted previously suggests it is simple enough for a woman to manage! This (by me) is a pleasant wind up, You would be perfectly capable of doing it if you want to, just make sure DH passes you the right bits in the right order, or at least makes the tea!
DW and I bought some 'unfinished' furniture a while back and elderly 'gent' salesbody said 'it is so smooth and ready to varnish your wife could manage it', I had to step back before the blood flowed!
If you wanted decking then you can get a woodyard / timber merchants to cut the timber to the lengths you want and armed with an electric screwdriver it is not a massive problem to put it together yourself.

CointreauVersial Wed 24-May-17 23:02:11

Those tile things are just what we're after - thank you!!

The decking isn't going to be "walked on" much - it's half way up the garden, so I just want to put a few pots on it, maybe a bench - anything is better than crappy concrete. Originally I was thinking of pebbles, but I was worried they'd creep all over the lawn

Cestlavielife - my DIY capabilities are certainly better than DH's, but my inclination is zero. I'm just after a quick fix, and those tiles seem ideal.

CointreauVersial Wed 24-May-17 23:04:36

X-post with outabout....yes, I'd be capable.....but I have a million and one other demands on my time right now!

cestlavielife Thu 25-May-17 08:10:45

They are very easy and simple I did it.
But does need some time.

CointreauVersial Thu 25-May-17 08:34:31

Just looked up the Aldi ones - they look great, and are a lot cheaper than Ikea. Now I just need to find a store....

I feel a Bank Holiday project coming on.

SafeToCross Thu 25-May-17 08:40:42

There's people on ebay selling similar too

CointreauVersial Mon 29-May-17 12:35:28

Update:

We've been busy! Here are the before pics.....

CointreauVersial Mon 29-May-17 12:40:51

And this is what it looks like now.

We suddenly realised that the shed base gets all the morning sun, whereas the patio by the house doesn't, so I'm chuffed we've been able to make use of that. We used decking tiles from B&Q (50x50cm) which we fitted together in sections using mending plates, then flipped over. It definitely isn't as good as proper decking, but it isn't going to be a thoroughfare or walked on much, so it's fine, and DH and I were able to put it together in an afternoon despite our dubious DIY skills. Thanks all for the suggestions!

cestlavielife Mon 29-May-17 18:17:45

Nice !

anotherdayanothersquabble Mon 29-May-17 19:10:28

You'be inspired me! I have very little cash and a terrace that has been badly tiled with bamboo roots growing through it... Any repair replacement job will cost me an arm and a leg but I might manage Ikea decking tiles...

anotherdayanothersquabble Mon 29-May-17 19:13:25

You've. .. not you'be. I think yours looks fab! (I also have a random shed base that I don't have the inclination or money to remove... it too might get the IKEA treatment..

outabout Mon 29-May-17 22:18:39

Brilliant, well done!
You don't appear to have the MN bottle of wine on your table, what happened?

CointreauVersial Tue 30-May-17 13:26:47

grin The MN bottle of wine was swiftly consumed as soon as we finished!

Anotherday - it's definitely worth doing. The tiles will cope with a certain amount of uneven-ness too.

Just need some more sunny mornings now.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now