Advanced search

New range cooker too tall for existing worktops

(9 Posts)
BrendaSmith56 Wed 24-May-17 17:49:58

Hi. Am having a new range cooker as the old one has packed up and been written off by the insurers.

The existing cooker is a Britannia but I won't be getting another as a) too pricey and b) had quite a lot of breakdowns over the 12 years we have had it.

The replacement has to come from Curry's as we have a voucher from the insurance company to spend there.

I was hoping to get s Rangemaster 100 but the minimum height that it can be set at is 905 mm which will put it 5cm taller than the existing cupboards and worktops.

This won't work will it? Anyone with similar... does it look odd?


SofiaAmes Wed 24-May-17 17:56:48

It's a little tall, but not completely uncommon to have a freestanding range be higher than the counters next to it.

BrendaSmith56 Wed 24-May-17 23:10:55

Thanks. Will perhaps go and have a look at some showrooms and see if they have any on display in same situation.

SofiaAmes Thu 25-May-17 05:56:16

Also search google images for kitchens.

LaLegue Thu 25-May-17 06:02:43

Do you have to accept the voucher from Currys? I think they pressure you to do this as they have deals with certain companies to provide things cheaper to them but if they don't have anything that is fit for purpose and the same specifications/quality as the one you are replacing I think you do have the right to insist they allow you to source something yourself and they pay for it. I've done this before, I had a bit of a battle on my hands but they agreed in the end.

VanillaSugar Thu 25-May-17 06:04:49

I have a Britannia sadly. The company went bust a while ago. Watching with interest as ours is on its last legs and is 150cms wide whereas the standard width only goes up to 110cms now.

BrendaSmith56 Thu 25-May-17 12:36:55

Hmmm... I think I will check the policy small print to see if it specifies a voucher. We are going to have to put some towards the cooker we eventually buy but Curry's wouldn't be my first choice as there are better prices elsewhere.

They do have some not so tall but was hoping to get a Rangemaster.

Thanks for the replies.

LaLegue Thu 25-May-17 12:49:58

Check on the website of the insurance ombudsman as well. They will try and fob you off at first but I am pretty sure you can appeal this. Even if it's only to take the same value in cash as the one they want to give you and add the difference in cost to one you've sourced yourself. It will forever annoy you if it doesn't fit the space properly or doesn't have features you had on your old oven.

BrendaSmith56 Sun 04-Jun-17 22:57:56

I've checked the insurance small print and it does say that the replacement needs to be bought from their chosen supplier.

However I contacted Rangemaster to ask whether the cooker being that height would be a problem - they politely pointed out that 905 mm is 90.5 cm NOT 95cm (doh!!) so it will actually fit perfectly 😂.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: