Advanced search

Documents requested by buyer

(20 Posts)
MadameJosephine Wed 24-May-17 17:49:47

I bought my house new from Barratt homes in 2008. I am currently in the process of selling it and my buyers solicitor has requested copies of the following documents

- Planning permission for original build
- Building regulations completion certificate
- Electrical installation certificate
- Compliance certificate for boiler installation

Is this normal? I don't think I've ever been asked for these when selling previous houses and I don't remember being supplied with these by Barratt, should I have been?

AssassinatedBeauty Wed 24-May-17 17:54:50

I think its normal to ask for various documents. We asked for a similar when we bought our house a few months ago, and were asked for the same sort of documents in relation to what we were selling.

I think you should have been given these by Barratt when buying the house - did your solicitor not ask for any of them?

dancingqueen345 Wed 24-May-17 18:01:14

Planning permission document should be freely available on the Council website.

Sorry can't help on the others.

AssassinatedBeauty Wed 24-May-17 18:03:57

You can get building regs documentation from your local council, I think, but for the electrical and boiler ones I'd imagine that you'd need to contact Barratts and ask them for copies if they still have them.

DimpleDumpling Wed 24-May-17 18:14:07

This is normal. Planning permission should be available, but still is requested.
Building regs, electrical, and boiler are all requested to ensure everything has been signed off properly and the new buyer isn't in for a nasty shock.

When you bought the property you solicitor at the time would have requested them all too so give them a try to see if they still hold copies.

mrsfee Wed 24-May-17 18:14:34

I'm also in the process of selling a new build, not Barrett, and we were asked for these documents by buyers solicitors. We have none of them (crap builders!) and replied to that effect. Hasn't caused any issues and we hopefully complete in June!

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 24-May-17 18:18:20

Planning and building regs from council but buyer should get these not seller. If the others are not available just say not available but if you have any invoice for the last boiler service tell them you have that and send a copy.

Our buyer's solicitor keeps asking for gas certificates despite having been told 3 times there is no gas st the property! grin

MadameJosephine Wed 24-May-17 18:38:29

Thanks everybody. So do you think it's acceptable for me to reply that I don't have them but that planning and building regs can be obtained from the council by the buyers of required?

Spickle Wed 24-May-17 20:22:55

Sorry MadameJosephine but Allthebestnamesareused is wrong. Documents requested should be provided by the Seller not the Buyer. If you don't have the original documents you will be expected to obtain duplicates or a suitable indemnity policy.

TheGoodWife16 Wed 24-May-17 21:13:26

We're selling our 3 year old new build and have had to provide all of that documentation, except the original planning permission.

We were provided the certificates when we purchased the property.

MadameJosephine Thu 25-May-17 07:44:22


Will give Barratt a ring today and see what they can do and if I get no joy I guess I'll have to apply to the council.

We bought the house on a part exchange scheme and one of the conditions was that we use their solicitor and I can't even remember who it was to ask them

Badliar Thu 25-May-17 07:47:03

Yes all normal. I had lost my boiler certificate but contacted the plumber and he sent me one.

senua Thu 25-May-17 08:01:40

What is covered under the NHBC certificate?

MadameJosephine Thu 25-May-17 10:35:51

I've got the NHBC certificate and have already forwarded that to them

KatyBerry Thu 25-May-17 10:44:11

you're perfectly entitled to say you don't have them, but that buyer can obtain them from the relevant entities. Depends whether you want to push the sale forwards in good spirits or not - it is absolutely standard for solicitors to reply to the majority of those queries with "rely on your own investigation / inspection" and the reason that the buyer's solicitor is asking (fully expecting to get that answer) is so that they can point out that they asked adn then the burden was put onto the buyer not them.

specialsubject Thu 25-May-17 19:04:43

Building regs info for the boiler should be lodged with the council and a copy given to you.

If you used a kickback solicitor they won't have busted a gut so you have some work to do.

StarTravels Thu 25-May-17 19:29:47

I've recently tried to get building regs copies as a buyer from building control and I've been told I need the application numbers and approval from the property owner. So if they are like my area, the buyers may struggle.

MadameJosephine Thu 25-May-17 19:34:16

I've spoke to Barratt and they asked me to email them the details so they can investigate. I'll let the buyers know, they are the ones pushing for a quick completion so I'll let them decide whether they want to wait for them and hold things up.

Missingthepoint Thu 25-May-17 19:38:37

When I purchased my flat 25 years ago I was given a whole wodge of paperwork by the contractor. As the property is still less than 15 years old there will be things still covered. If Barrats are saying they will look into missing info it sounds to me that they know you should have been given the documents and weren't??

MadameJosephine Thu 25-May-17 19:42:49

I think you might be right. It was only when I mentioned the part exchange and using their solicitor hat the woman in the phone said 'ah I see' and asked me to email her the details

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: