Talk

Advanced search

Blown windows

(10 Posts)
StealthNinjaMum Wed 24-May-17 15:06:02

Hi

I live in quite big house with lots of windows (mostly with wooden frames) and about 5 actual panes have blown (i.e. they have ugly condensation in them). I am just about to get quotes to get the panes replaced but I wondered whether I should replace all of the windows in that group. Does the presence of one blown pane in a set of 4 mean that they're all going to go soon or is it just a weakness with the actual window that's blown?

Some of the windows are on a 2nd floor and would need scaffolding so I don't want to get scaffolding to replace 3 panes when I might need to do this again in 12 months with different panes. I am sure that when I get quotes from glaziers they are going to try to sell me whole new windows for everywhere so I would like the non-sales truth from you guys!

The house is 20 years old and I assume the windows are as old as the house. I haven't had blown windows before so don't know if they're all going to blow soon.

Thanks.

Dadsussex Wed 24-May-17 15:15:42

I feel your pain!

Last year on a renovation I had to replace 28 window glass panels that had blown!

Firstly, if something isn't broken generally don't fix it..... I've had one window in a property blow twice and the others all around it were fine!

Glazing units can sometimes be replaced from the inside with some windows and if that is the case for you it'll save money- if however it's a scaffolding job and there are only a few extra panels weigh it up re replacement

The above said personally I'd keep what isn't broken myself

Lastly, the glass panels are actually not that expensive, new windows will be, and therefore on 20 year old wooden frames you may need to be treat/repair the general frame/s whilst you are having glass panels replaced

PigletJohn Wed 24-May-17 15:34:12

windows usually fail quite slowly, so you will have a few years of increasing haziness and white marks before they become badly fogged. So I wouldn't bother changing panes until they need it.

I had mine done by somebody my window cleaner recommended, he charged me less than £50 per pane. Mine didn't need scaffold as they are sliding sash and I was able to lift them all out myself and carry them down for him to work on.

Next time I think I will paint the frames and sashes while I have them out.

Avoid the big national chains, there will be a local firm that repairs DG, patio doors, and plastic doors.

PigletJohn Wed 24-May-17 15:36:30

btw the panes at about eye level will be the ones that annoy you most if they start to mist. Higher ones are less urgent.

StealthNinjaMum Wed 24-May-17 16:32:43

Thank you Dadsussex and PigletJohn

You have been very helpful. I have never seen windows blow before and so it was a surprise that seemingly 'overnight' they had condensation that was on the inside. They look really terrible - but fortunately are upstairs so no-one else has noticed.

The next job after I've replaced them is to paint them all anyway as they are starting to look scruffy. I didn't want to pay money on replacing windows and painting them (with scaffolding) only to find that next year we get more blown windows but I am hoping that there won't be any more. I would like to replace the top floor windows from the inside but obviously will accept whatever the glazier says.

I have always used a local glazier and I do think they are less high pressure than the awful, pushy national chains but I feel happier that if they tell me I need to replace all the windows I can ignore their advice and just change the 5 blown panes.

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 24-May-17 18:23:39

Upstairs windows or panes can be replaced from inside the property

ClaraLane Wed 24-May-17 18:26:18

We recently had some blown panes replaced and they were all done internally, hardly took any time at all. Ours are in a row of three but we just replaced the blown ones and left the others. It's wonderful being able to actually see out of the windows!

Deux Wed 24-May-17 18:27:15

I've had upstairs ones replaced and it was done from inside. I used the local glazier.

GimbleInTheWabe Wed 24-May-17 18:29:05

We had a 12 window panes replaced, cost about £900 and I'm in London. We just have the glazing replaced and kept the frames though. Made the world of difference!
I'm on the first floor and they didn't need any scaffolding as they just pop the panes in and out from inside. Took them hardly any time at all!! Thief quote for new frames too was about £1000 extra but we just kept the ones we had.

StealthNinjaMum Wed 24-May-17 19:29:57

Thank you for your replies, sounds like blown Windows are more common than I thought and cheaper to replace. I will be calling glaziers tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now