Talk

Advanced search

Living with a child in a flat above a pub?

(17 Posts)
ParsleyCake Wed 24-May-17 10:21:09

Myself, my husband and my 2 year old have been living in a one bed flat for a long time now and the cramped living space is really starting to get to us. We live in a lovely area very close to everything we need - supermarket, DS's nursery, the beach, my work...it's perfect.

We were very lucky to get our flat considering we work part time and rely on benefits. The problem is though, now that we desperately need a two bed, all the flat landlords in our area turn their noses up at us. I understand it, but at the same time, this part of town feels like our home. We are settled and don't want to move, except to a very close by flat, and at this point we'd take any offered to us.

So all the nicer flats we hoped for won't take housing benefits/DSS (not sure what the difference is), so we now have to look at less nice flats in the area, which are in old buildings above shops and pubs. So far most of those we have looked at have problems, such as no double glazing or severe damp or other damage for instance. We have just found a very nice flat though. It's cheap rent, cheap council tax, and recently redecorated. The bathroom looks new, the kitchen is nice and big, and there's lovely laminate floors instead of the usual tired carpets we're faced with in similar places. Even though it has two bedrooms is cheaper than our current one bed flat.

It's above a pub though. Normally I wouldn't care anyway, noise rarely bothers me, particularly music. But I feel really uneasy living there with a toddler...

Is it somehow unethical? For the child to hear music until closing time each night (12.30pm), to have hoards of smokers outside the main door? The possibility of hearing fights?

It's not a rough pub, and the bedrooms are at the back of the building, so the noise won't be immediately underneath us. We live in a small town and people are generally nice and respectful, though of course that doesn't carry over when people are flat out drunk. The area is quite safe too. But still, my heart says no, but I also wonder if I'm overreacting.

What do you think?

We are really not well off, struggling most of the time to get by. I much prefer living in cheaper flats in the town centre where my son is in the catchment area for a good school and nursery and the neighbour's are anonymous twenty somethings and singletons than our other option, which is the poor part of town with junkies in flat blocks next door who neglect and abuse their kids. I have lived in the poorer housing estates in this town before and the hassle we got from the scum bags of the neighbourhood, and the neighbour's hitting their wives and kids is something I would never want to expose my son to.

Honest opinions? Should I consider this flat? Or hold out for something better?

BewareOfTheToddler Wed 24-May-17 12:20:23

I don't think I'd have a problem with a flat over a shop but I think I'd avoid ones over pubs and restaurants as I could see noise, smells, etc, all being an issue. We've had noise issues in a flat over another flat so, with a toddler, I'd want to minimise the risk of that. Over something like a newsagents which is closed in the evening would be totally different though.

savagehk Wed 24-May-17 12:30:02

Noise would be my main potential concern. I had a friend once who lived above a pub and the noise at closing time was substantial, as was the noise when the glass recycling was collected. If the bedrooms are at the back, perhaps this is less of an issue, and if there are correctly fitted newish double glazed windows which you're happy to keep closed, again less problems. Having said that, you can usually train yourself to sleep through almost anything (I lived in a studenty part of town for a while, and students heading home drunk TALKING IN LOUD VOICES was annoying for the first few weeks but then I started sleeping through!); but how is your toddler sleep wise?

He is also still quite young, if you did move and find it wasn't a pleasant flat you could start looking again before he understands too much about what's really going on when people get drunk etc.

Lucisky Wed 24-May-17 12:39:04

I used to live, many years ago, in a rented flat above a restaurant. At night it was like having a constant dinner party underneath you, but I got used to the chatter and clatter, and I worked shifts, so often wasn't there at night anyway. Have you been into this pub in the evening and assessed how busy it is? A bit of investigation work might pay off. One thing that really used to bug me though were the cooking smells all day, so check out where the kitchen extractors are in relation to your windows. I can think of worse places to live, and very convenient too if they do nice food or you fancy a drink!

Kokusai Wed 24-May-17 13:35:07

Depends. Id want to see the pub in full noisy saturday night glory beforeI made that call.

Footle Wed 24-May-17 16:05:04

Sounds all right to me. Huge bust-ups and knife crime would be a no, but if it's a quietist area and a well-run pub , the definite advantages seem to outweigh the possible disadvantages. 6 month lease to start with?

Footle Wed 24-May-17 16:05:29

quietish, even

nancy75 Wed 24-May-17 16:08:50

It wouldn't bother me too much, try to visit on a Saturday night & judge how noisy it is, also try to find out what time they get their deliveries - it can be very early!

rizlett Wed 24-May-17 16:10:24

Plenty of people who run pubs have children so I don't think its unethical - and as you are renting you can always be there for 6 months just to see.

Maybe visit at closing time on a busy night to see how bad/ok it is.

Is more room important to you than some noise?

It doesn't have to be forever - unless you end up really loving it.

Ollivander84 Wed 24-May-17 16:12:27

I grew up living in pubs. From day 1 as a baby until I was maybe 19. I think it's absolutely fine

EssentialHummus Wed 24-May-17 16:15:00

Probably fine, but why is it so cheap? I'd be wary. I lived in a pub at one point, but not sure I'd be so game with DC.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 24-May-17 16:17:30

If yours is the only flat above the pub, you will not have constant complaints about the normal everyday noise that your toddler makes.
Does pub landlord live on premises?

As someone said above, the smell of chips cooking all day would worry me more than cigarettes

EweAreHere Wed 24-May-17 16:24:02

Ask if you can spend a night in a sleeping bag there to see how noisy it gets?

picklemepopcorn Wed 24-May-17 16:37:22

Where is your door? That makes a difference.
It's only very noisy Friday Saturday, I expect. Find out when waste collection happens.

gamerwidow Wed 24-May-17 16:39:56

I spent a large portion of my childhood from 8-14 living above a pub, our living room and kitchen were actually down stairs across the corridor from the bar. I used to have to walk through the bar in order to go from downstairs to upstairs. Loved that pub!

SummerMummy88 Wed 24-May-17 16:47:45

If it is a nice pub and a nice area I would go for it. You could move in a flat anywhere and days later find out your neighbours play loud music, smoke outside, have fights etc. At least if your only renting you can just give your notice and try again so where else.

SingaSong12 Wed 24-May-17 16:55:44

Can't see an ethical issue. Remember there will be a little extra noise from things like delivery vans/kegs being rolled. Maybe each time on short fixed terms (even after 6 months) as the character or use of a building can change. That could be the type of pub or that they try to change to be able to be a restaurant.

I think that the local council will have records of the number of late licenses the pub has had so that might be worth a look in case it is often open beyond 12.30.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now