Talk

Advanced search

Who else has a handyman?

(33 Posts)
Chickenagain Wed 24-May-17 09:34:51

Another post mentioned the Handyman. I have one & wondered how many other people do too?
Would rather keep my Perfect Pete than have a cleaner!
Some of the jobs carried out by Perfect. Painted v quickly the sitting room. Less than a day. Fitted a proper light & switch in loft after going up there to look at tank. New shower pump fitted (bought from eBay) mended both showers, put up amazing driftwood shelf - v heavy & hidden fittings. Moved sockets, moved radiator, built s/h Ikea huge wardrobes (bought on eBay & included carrying all 6 upstairs) plumbed in new dishwasher, new kick board, jet washed both decks and the garden furniture without being asked, cut hedges (8ft tall) mended loo that slow filled for 6 years (part cost about £1). Painted my chimneys while scaffolding was up, laid fabulous terrace in front of house & moves amazingly heavy stuff up & down stairs. Dig up masses of bamboo, removed every scrap & laid turf. Moved flower bed to other side of garden entirely. Never ever moans, calls me "Boss". Brings me fresh eggs. Better than being married grin

ShesNoNormanPace Wed 24-May-17 09:40:22

Oooohhh, I'm jealous. I have DH, who has just splattered the door steps with paint as he was painting the front door. Apparently, the paint on the steps will wash off, whereas the paint on the door will not. I don't know how the paint is supposed to know to do that, but he does, and he is the Supreme Commander of the House and therefore I shall desist commenting on it every time I walk through the door. And I shall not mention the leaky toilet.

user1955 Wed 24-May-17 19:16:28

I would love one, as I have so many jobs that need doing. I am looking, but where do you find someone that's good and trustworthy? I've scoured the local newspapers and community sheets, but no adverts there.

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 24-May-17 19:38:29

Oh - now there's an idea - I think I'll advertise for one !!

MiaowTheCat Wed 24-May-17 19:42:49

Got one who lives next door. If he can't do it there's usually someone in his phone contacts who can.

Also got a decorator over the road, kitchen fitter out the back of our house and god knows how many plasterers we live near.

user1955 Wed 24-May-17 19:49:20

envy

Cakecrumbsinmybra Wed 24-May-17 20:17:28

Yep, it's great - no more DH spending 6 hours at the weekend doing some job that needs doing. Handyman has all the right kit, gets the right material first time, etc. Was such a good decision and he's cheaper than the cleaners round here!!

SealSong Wed 24-May-17 20:23:01

Yes, a lovely chap who lives in my village, and, who for a modest fee, will come and do all the silly little jobs that I'm embarrassingly useless at doing, involving ladders and suchlike. He did take a bit of finding, I must say.

Chickenagain Wed 24-May-17 21:52:34

Mine had a card in the shoe shop window (local banyan tree) and it was clear he had taken some time on designing it - open gate with honeysuckle over it. He sounded a bit scary on the phone, but he is like a dad to me - a real diamond. He built his own house in the past so his skill set is huge.
He was hovering up from some drilling and did all the stairs & hall too 😃 a lovely, lovely man.
Oh yes, my dog adores him as he always gives her the corner of his sandwich.

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 25-May-17 06:31:55

Ahhh - if you happen to be in Dorset please pm me if you can bear to share him !!! smile

MiaowTheCat Thu 25-May-17 07:32:38

We just randomly find next door up ladders outside our house fixing guttering or whatever as he's had the ladders out so figured he'd do it while he was on! If DH is attempting any DIY he'll suddenly find much better tools being loaned over the garden fence.

But like I say sometimes living in a blue collar type neighbourhood where we've got lots of self-employed tradesmen around has some real advantages.

UrsulaPandress Thu 25-May-17 07:39:20

We used to have one on call. But he passed away. sad

DH and I were bemoaning his loss yesterday evening as there are several jobs on the go in our house and garden that DH is finding it hard to finish.

Phillipa12 Thu 25-May-17 07:49:20

I have one, its my bil 😂 and for all roofing problems its my nextdoor neighbour. My 3 boys had better grow up to be pretty handy at diy!

NamedyChangedy Thu 25-May-17 10:00:10

I desperately need one, as neither DH or I are at all handy, unfortunately.

Whenever I've found someone they've turned out to be completely unreliable or downright dishonest. Although the one genuinely good handyman we had was a young guy who decided to go back to college, so I can't really fault him for that.

I'd love to not have that nagging feeling about the myriad jobs that need doing around the house sad

SleightOfHand Thu 25-May-17 10:09:46

How much does he charge?

Kokusai Thu 25-May-17 11:04:16

I got someone who advertised as a flat pack assembler to come and build like, seventy five billion items of ikea furniture a while ago - he was really good and turned out to be a general handyman as well AND lived just round the corner so have used him for quite a few little jobs since.

Mammabear31 Thu 25-May-17 11:22:48

Yep, I married him grin

misscph1973 Thu 25-May-17 11:34:18

Honestly, ladies, you need to do you own DIY! i do most of mine myself, and what I can't do, I get my handy woman to do.

Being able to use a power drill is very satisfying. Teaching your daughter how to use one is even better.

SealSong Thu 25-May-17 11:42:27

Ach no, do my own DIY? Life's too short.

SealSong Thu 25-May-17 11:43:09

Although hats off to those that can and do.

ImperialBlether Thu 25-May-17 11:45:58

I have one - he's painting the outside of my house at the moment! He's very cheap - £60 per day - but now that he's 60 he works 9.30 - 4.30. He can do anything at all - he's great! NW here.

TheTurnOfTheScrew Thu 25-May-17 11:50:46

I would LOVE to find a handyman.
My (otherwise wonderful and chore-sharing) DH is shite at DIY, and not only that is not a self-starter - he has an inability to see what needs doing. However, he bristles at the idea of me doing anything, because I'm worse. This is a fair comment, although with practise I could only get better.

I do have an excellent joiner and a good plumber, but would love someone to do very minor building repairs and bigger decorating jobs. If anyone is in the North west and has a contact let me know.

peaceout Thu 25-May-17 11:56:51

I wish🙄
I know a good cycle repair place though so that's something😊

UKrider Thu 25-May-17 11:59:53

My husband!

He's having a career change at the grand age of 42 so in full time uni.

Along with that he's doing handyman jobs and is in demand. This week he's painted a kitchen, cleared gutters, rebuilt a garden wall and plastered and painted a ceiling in 3 various houses. (His next job is doing our patio at home!).

He doesn't advertise his name and number just gets passed around so perhaps if you're looking for someone you can ask friends and family, or post on a local Facebook page to see who's recommended?

Freshprincess Thu 25-May-17 12:06:32

Does my dad count? Upsides, he'll do anything, or get one of his never ending supply of mates to come and do it.
Downsides, he has a million tea breaks and you have to 'help'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now