Talk

Advanced search

Wood/vinyl/laminate/carpet for child's bedroom floor?

(31 Posts)
Reastie Mon 22-May-17 20:58:05

Any knowledge on what is the most practical?

I'm tempted by a hard floor and a small rug as I think it's easier to clean spills and will be more practical. We have karndean elsewhere in the house and I think it's fab.

Dh says carpet as it feels nicer underfoot but I think the pros to a hard floor and that hopefully it'll last longer and not stain outweigh this, and dd can wear slippers and have a nice rug.

I've never had a wood or laminate floor to know whether they are as good/better options.

Any feedback welcome thanks

PippaFawcett Mon 22-May-17 21:02:36

I hate our laminate flooring with with a passion! You can see every fleck of dirt. There is no way I would consider it for bedrooms but I love the cosines of carpet. We get actual tumbleweeds of hair and dust balls downstairs, it grosses me out! Of course that mess must be there on carpets but ignorance is bliss!

Bluntness100 Mon 22-May-17 21:04:29

I'd always put carpet in a child's room. Much nicer underfoot. I have floor boards down stairs (with a rug on) and honestly I wouldn't want my bedroom just all hard wood or laminate. Give her a nice fitted carpet.

Reastie Mon 22-May-17 21:04:56

See I've had vinyl flooring in the dining room, hall, and kitchen for nearly 3 years and I absolutely love it! But then I do hoover a lot so maybe it doesn't get time to build up.....

Reastie Mon 22-May-17 21:07:17

Why do you like carpet in the bedroom other than foot comfort can I ask though bluntness? I find carpet stressful as I worry about spills and stains and find it much easier to know it's a hard floor that can be mopped. I just figured the ease of cleaning would outweigh the carpet underfoot feeling (which she can have with her rug and slippers).

Reastie Mon 22-May-17 21:08:38

Ohh, I won't if a hard floor makes it more echoey and makes noise travel more? If so that might be an important drawback, especially for once she becomes a teen playing loud music!

SarahBeeney Mon 22-May-17 21:09:44

Kids bedroom carpets are less likely to stain as they won't be eating/drinking/wearing muddy shoes in there. I have carpets in bedrooms and front room and have no stains even after a few years.
Carpet is much cosier especially in a bedroom.

Bluntness100 Mon 22-May-17 21:13:08

What does she take into her room that would spill? Just get the carpet scotchguarded and most stains come out. Plus carpets can be cleaned.

Carpets are warmer underfoot, they muffle noise more, it's just a softer warmer environment.

I had a tiled bedroom floor in a previous house, and yes I put rugs down, but honestly carpets are just nicer when walking around, or just getting out of bed in the morning, or even sitting on the floor to do something.

All my downstairs is exposed floor boards, but upstairs it's all carpeted.

BackforGood Mon 22-May-17 21:17:24

Carpet without a doubt.
Much nicer to get out of bed on to, or to wander about barefoot when getting dressed or into bed.
Much nicer to kneel on / lie on / sit on when playing in their rooms.
Much nicer for mate to lie on when friend sleeps over.
Less likely to slip over.
MUCH quieter for those relaxing or working in room underneath.
Not sure what spills you are expecting in a bedroom ? Wouldn't take food or drink into a bedroom.

RTKangaMummy Mon 22-May-17 21:23:16

Asthma meant vinyl floors were in DS room

Excellent for cars and train sets and Lego building too

smilesmilesmile

Reastie Tue 23-May-17 06:56:25

Well, dh often takes a mug of tea in to dds bedroom and spills bits and I'm worried about potential vomit stains (we still have a stain I can't get out from the current carpet in her room...). Dd does also sometimes have snacks in her bedroom so spills can and inevitably will occur.

The noise muffler aspect of a carpet is important though, so maybe that will win. The softness on knees of carpet isn't so important as we would have a rug and cushions etc she could use.

StarTravels Tue 23-May-17 07:02:19

Mine is only a toddler, so no loud music yet! But he has wooden floor boards in his room and we haven't found it noisy. It's very easy to clean and we've had a lot of spillages. Plus it looks nice too.

picklemepopcorn Tue 23-May-17 07:15:49

We had a good vinyl in DCs bedroom. Great for playing Lego and cars on. Much better than carpet. Also good when DC vomited unexpectedly... Good for paint and felts...

There are some fab patterns, too. Loved it and really miss it in our carpeted new build.

Laminate is cold and noisy. Vinyl is warmer. Lots of people have only come across cheap thin vinyl. The good stuff is very different!

MsHippo Tue 23-May-17 07:16:19

Some kind of neutral hard floor + big rug that covers most of the empty space in the room. Rugs are much cheaper than carpets, and easy to swap in the event of stain/spill/redesign.

TheNumberfaker Tue 23-May-17 07:22:44

Out DDs are sharing a bedroom with laminate flooring in our current house. Love it. Spills are so easy to clear up and when we sweep/Hoover we get ALL the dirt and dust up. Just get a couple of cushions (with washable covers) for them to sit on the floor.

megletthesecond Tue 23-May-17 07:33:21

Hard floor. Mine have always had it. It stays clean, they can build on it and it's never marked by spillages or sick.

llangennith Tue 23-May-17 07:35:35

Carpet in kids' bedrooms. Hard floors are so cold. Children often play, sit and sprawl on their bedroom floor.
Try to ease up a bit on the obsession with spillage and cleaning.

babyboyHarrison Tue 23-May-17 07:36:33

Carpet would be better if they fall out of bed. not sure if the age of your child to know if this is likely.

Sprog19 Tue 23-May-17 07:38:10

We've got Karndean in DS2s bedroom and it's not cold at all - in fact it often feels quite warm underfoot. So much more practical than carpet and looks great.

picklemepopcorn Tue 23-May-17 07:47:40

Much better for allergies too, that was why we started it. The fact that my DC used to get misplace the toilet at night was a later development that made us thank our lucky stars!

I don't get these people who think worrying about spills is obsessive. I'm not a hygiene queen at all, but between the kids and the dog, we've had vile stuff on our floors and would have had to replace carpets.

amyboo Tue 23-May-17 08:57:37

We have wooden floors (good quality laminate) in all our bedrooms and I love it. We don't have problems with dust/hair balls (I hoover the floors....), and any spills from drinks, or vomit, or wee are easily cleaned up without leaving any stains. We have a rug in each of the rooms and the kids wear socks/slippers in winter. I would never go back to carpet...

TheLongRider Tue 23-May-17 09:03:17

We have good quality laminate and love it. It's got good underlay underneath and that helps with noise reduction. We went for laminate because our DC is going to grow up and we wanted something that would stand up to spills, nail varnish, high heels, hair dye disasters and vomit in the teenage years!

It's great for Lego and Playmobil playing and cars and playdoh is easy to clean off it. Glitter just gets swept up too. Laminate rules!

minipie Tue 23-May-17 10:11:13

We have carpet in DDs room, no food allowed upstairs and rarely take cup of tea either. Messy toys (playdoh, paint, pens) stay downstairs where we have wood/tiles. Maybe get your DH a lidded cup for his tea??

Carpet is definitely better for noise, warmth and playing on the floor. We have a washable rug next to DD's bed to protect in case of accidents.

Reastie Tue 23-May-17 15:03:59

So there is a huge divide here like there is between dh and I!

I resent paying several hundred pounds on a carpet which I know will get grubby and stained and look like it needs replacing in a few years when I could get a hard floor which will look as good as new for longer. We have karndean downstairs and I find it very practical. But then it is more expensive to initially put down and if the noise travels more it may be a big downer. Hmm, i still can't decide as it's so divided!

Reastie Tue 23-May-17 15:05:07

So there is a huge divide here like there is between dh and I!

I resent paying several hundred pounds on a carpet which I know will get grubby and stained and look like it needs replacing in a few years when I could get a hard floor which will look as good as new for longer. We have karndean downstairs and I find it very practical. But then it is more expensive to initially put down and if the noise travels more it may be a big downer. Hmm, i still can't decide as it's so divided!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now