Talk

Advanced search

Chain delay - rent the new house? WWYD

(19 Posts)
Tobuyornot99 Mon 22-May-17 13:05:40

If anyone can help me see the wood for the trees I'll be eternally grateful!
Due to move on Weds into an empty house, first time buyer moving into mine, should be simple. There is now some hold up with our vendor, she needs to get a valuation on the house she moved into, goodness knows why she didn't do this month's ago.
I'm packed, living out of an overnight bag and mother in laws providing meals. Life is chaos, have 6month old baby and DP working long hours.
Is it completely bonkers to rent the house off vendor, and my buyer rent off me, until we complete? Is it even legal?
We have movers booked, services switching, etc etc. I could cry and drink gin, although neither will help.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

wowfudge Mon 22-May-17 13:16:06

Have you already exchanged contracts with Wednesday as the completion date or is Wednesday when exchange and completion are both due to take place?

Tobuyornot99 Mon 22-May-17 13:21:49

We were due to exchange and complete on Wednesday.

Jayfee Mon 22-May-17 13:23:06

If you have exchanged contracts your vendor should be the one moving to rent. Talk to your solicitor asap

Jayfee Mon 22-May-17 13:23:54

sorry jst read you are due to exchange and complete the same day

Jayfee Mon 22-May-17 13:25:18

i think everyone will probably have to stay put. very unusual in my experience to exchange and comllete simultaneously

Tobuyornot99 Mon 22-May-17 13:26:06

Sorry, just to clarify, the house we are buying is empy. She took on a bridging loan and moved out a while ago.

AntiHop Mon 22-May-17 13:28:18

we did this. No idea if it was legal.

Phillipa12 Mon 22-May-17 13:32:14

I did this, the house i was buying was empty and i had left my old house so both myself and my buyers rented our respective new houses till sale went through. We did have to get a solicitor to draw up a standard monthly rolling contract, all worked out absolutely fine but there is an element of trust on all parts.

Tobuyornot99 Mon 22-May-17 13:34:10

Antihop was it OK for you, any problems? Did you tell your solicitors or just sort it amongst yourselves?

Tobuyornot99 Mon 22-May-17 13:39:28

Phillipa that's really good to know. I'm going to suggest it to all parties and see how they feel. The thought of unpacking even the essentials (not to mention cleaning the bloody oven again) is so unappealing.

Twooter Mon 22-May-17 13:42:53

Is it worth you selling your house anyway? If it falls through at least you'd be in a great position for another house?

wowfudge Mon 22-May-17 14:21:31

I'd push for exchange and completion on different days - too much at stake on one day, as you have found.

Tobuyornot99 Mon 22-May-17 15:55:51

Twooter it's certainly something to think about. Wowfudge you're right, at least if we exchanged next week there would be a legall binding date to complete.

specialsubject Mon 22-May-17 19:32:25

Those is why simultaneous exchange and complete is nuts. Way too late to dive into the dodgy waters of renting it. Sell yours, cancel everything else until you have exchange , and make sure completion is at least a week later.

You will need to sort temporary accommodation and storage.

Bluntness100 Mon 22-May-17 19:36:16

You should all exchange them set up a rental agreement. Your solicitor should do it. Don't rent before exchanging. We did it and it was fine, but you should at least exchange first.

Bluntness100 Mon 22-May-17 19:37:27

You could also do it all in a day, exchange tomorrow, set up the agreement, then move in wed. It's quick.

If she's not willing to exchange don't do it. It tells you she may not be willing to sell.

Tobuyornot99 Mon 22-May-17 21:35:34

Thanks all. She is up to her eyes with a bridging loan / few mortgages, she should be desperate to get moving. I'll be leaving the new house in a box as my lovely Nan says.

Etymology23 Mon 22-May-17 21:38:04

I would be wary of renting - not high risk for the tenant but it is for the landlord as you can't kick out the tenant for several months unless you could set it up as some kind of holiday let :s

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now