Talk

Advanced search

Balcony safety for toddler

(13 Posts)
rosethorn76 Mon 22-May-17 00:38:58

Hi there, just bought a 4th floor flat and (afraid of heights) am scaring myself silly re v curious toddler who loves to climb falling off balcony. I will have to have a v strict no access to balcony unless mummy is there rule anyway but for peace of mind I wondered if anyone had experience of safety netting for balconies ? https://www.kidpro.eu/safety-net-faq.html

He also likes to post things under the plexiglass and that would address that as well..

Thanks

specialsubject Mon 22-May-17 09:38:55

Just lock the door until he is older. Presumably you have more sense than to buy this overpriced sucker bait. Unless of course you are advertising it????

rosethorn76 Mon 22-May-17 10:50:05

Erm no I'm not advertising, I'm asking for advice from other parents who might be in the same situation as me..

amistillsexy Mon 22-May-17 10:51:54

I'm not trying to be goad but...why did you buy a fourth floor flat if you're scared of heights?😕

EpoxyResin Mon 22-May-17 13:15:51

I would get some sort of netting if I were you, not least because my toddler nearly succeeded in climbing out of a first floor window the other day, so god knows what he'd try with a balcony! I've bought window restrictors now - I recommend that too if you'll be on the 4th floor - I read 4000 children under 15 fall out of windows every year, so that freaked me out!

I wouldn't rely on locking the door, they learn how to undo locks in secret and surprise us with their new-found skill when we least expect it.

I have no experience of different nettings I'm afraid, but I've seen several blocks of flats (all having balconies) where every single one had netting. I assume in some blocks it's mandatory for whatever reason. Seems totally sensible to me!

specialsubject Mon 22-May-17 19:28:59

Apologies - just it seemed odd indeed to buy this property with your concerns.

Netting is probably a handy climbing aid.

NapQueen Mon 22-May-17 19:31:01

Id just leave the balcony for when theyve gone to bed.

Additionally, they wont be able to climb over the balcony edge if you are there watching so is it something to keep them safe for leaving alone on the balcony.??

cestlavielife Mon 22-May-17 21:03:11

I had a balcony with small dc. It had big gaps between rsils. Just go to a garden centre and get some garden netting.
Attach with garden plastic ties

Or a trellis e.g. bamboo .
Much cheaper and just as effective.

cestlavielife Mon 22-May-17 21:04:27

Or like this

www.therange.co.uk/garden/fencing-and-landscaping/garden-screening/woven-reed-screen/?gclid=CNvpi_elhNQCFSEW0wodzs4FHQ

cestlavielife Mon 22-May-17 21:05:26

Or this kind of netting

www.gardening-naturally.com/soft-butterfly-netting?ps=MTQyPTUyJjE0Nz00NDI=&gclid=CLTg3o-mhNQCFUko0wode3MC4Q#142=52&147=442

OhDearToby Mon 22-May-17 21:10:14

We live on the 4th floor and have a balcony. We have the door locked unless we are out there and don't leave the children for a second. If I go inside, they go inside.

I don't think there is any product that would make me feel happy about leaving them out there on their own or leaving the door unlocked.

BigGrannyPants Mon 22-May-17 21:20:14

What about a baby gate on the outside of the door... something like the babydan guard me, then it can't be climbed and acts as extra security if your DC manages to open the door?

Puffykins Mon 22-May-17 21:25:09

We're 6th floor with a balcony, and it's always been fine. Both children also think it's a long way down..... also they don't go out there without us. And they've barely ever even looked over the edge, much less tried to climb up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now