Talk

Advanced search

What would you do?

(7 Posts)
user1495288227 Sat 20-May-17 15:53:13

My husband and I are replacing our kitchen for one of high street brand kitchens and I work from home while the kitchen fitter is doing installation and my husband is out in the office. It's been a week and we have another week to finish. The kitchen fitter is good at what he is doing although he is not well mannered such as not saying thank you or please.
Yesterday he was discussing with me what centimeters the breakfast bar coming forward from the work top. And he suddenly measured my upper leg size with his tape measure which made me think what's going on?? Right after that I said to him 'It isnt nice you measure my legs?' He answered 'I wanted to know your sitting measurement to decide how long the breakfast bar should come forward. Your leg is *cm so it has to come out at least * . I said ok and he went home.
Then I was thinking about it and was upset more and more so I talked to my husband about it saying the kitchen fitter should have asked me before measuring my leg size. I don't even understand why he need to measure it as he may know the standard measurement as a kitchen fitter. I felt embarrassed and humilified and I think I should complain about this. My husband said he will work from home for me but I said it's ok. I'm not afraid of him and I am just upset with him not even realising what he did was improper.

Would this be sexual harrassment? My husband said it would be overreacting if I define that way because he didnt touch me. He didnt touch me and his tape measure didnt touch me. But I felt humiliated as a woman well he would probably do the same if my husband was there.

Also I have to decide how I complain about this. If I complain to him directly and tell him how I feel on Monday and ask for apology. If he wont apologise I will report this to the kitchen company. I dont know how much it could affect to our kitchen installation if I tell him this on Monday.

The other solution is I wait until installation is done and make a formal complain to the kitchen company. But would I get my husband to complain about it or would I do it myself? Kitchen was ordered on my husband's name.

Thank you for your advice in advance.

Bluntness100 Sat 20-May-17 15:56:24

Well it sounds like he was clumsy but I wouldn't define this as sexual harassment and as even the tape measure didn't touch you I would not complain. However I've not heard of a fitter doing this, sounds like he's probably not that great at his job.

PlymouthMaid1 Sat 20-May-17 15:58:07

Just a bit of a thoughtless wally not sexual harassment surely.

Maggy74653 Sat 20-May-17 16:51:50

He should have asked but I agree with pp I don't think this is sexual harassment. I would have found it strange but it wouldn't have bothered me.

user1495288227 Sat 20-May-17 17:05:57

Thank you for your advice. It looks like I won't need to worry too much about it. I feel better now...

Lesley1980 Sat 20-May-17 21:27:30

I don't know what he was thinking but I don't think he was measuring to fit the kitchen worktop. Kitchens are standard widths, work tops & cupboards are standard.

Are you & your husband the same height? Why would it only be fitted to your leg length? It doesn't make sense.

CakeThat Sat 20-May-17 21:40:51

I can kind of see what he was thinking - the longer your thigh measurement the deeper the breakfast bar needs to be for you to fit your legs under it! He probably didn't explain himself very well but he didn't touch you or behave inappropriately. If you feel that bothered why don't you let your husband work from home and leave him to deal?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now