Talk

Advanced search

Another Q about boilers - tank v combi

(3 Posts)
SleepBecomesHim321 Sat 20-May-17 13:57:06

Hi, we've started getting quotes for some building work on our house. There's two options (for renovation) we could go for and we're getting quotes for both.

One builder (who started off as a gas engineer) said we should consider a new boiler, switching from tanks to a combi. I'm not sure - and will be getting other quotes - but wanted to see what others thought might be necessary.

We have a potterton netaheat in ground floor utility room which is definitely old and we're happy to replace if necessary. We have a hot tank in second floor airing cupboard and a cold tank on roof (flat roofed 60s house so no loft). We have one bathroom on second floor, kitchen on 1st floor, downstairs loo and sink on ground floor. No probs w hot water/heating since we moved in 2 yrs ago.

The cheapest renovation option will involve adding a shower room to ground floor - other than that, water needs will stay the same.

Would replacing current tank/boiler system with a new tank/boiler system be cheaper than having a combi installed? I understand a combi would need different thickness pipework installed throughout house and floors would need to come up, etc etc....so it spirals.

Does anyone have any experience/comments? Thanks.

PigletJohn Sat 20-May-17 14:47:38

you have a Netaheat which I suppose is in the region of 30 years old. Very good boiler but look out for any signs of rust in the case or flue. You ought to have it serviced annually and inspected for any leakage as the casing is pressurised. You are better off with an experienced independent.

Fill a bucket at your kitchen sink cold tap (and utility room and garden tap if you have them). Time it. Calculate litres per minute. What is it?

Can you see your incoming water pipe before it meets your stopcock? Is it copper, steel, black plastic? What diameter?

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Sat 20-May-17 15:38:04

I had a tank taken out (only hot water tank, not second cold one) and replaced with a combi. As tank and boiler both needed to go, it was cheaper to go combi. It's good to have that space freed up, but nowhere to dry emergency washing now there's no airing cupboard! Something I hadn't considered, as I don't have a tumble drier.

They put the pipe work round the outside of the house, so no need to take up floors but it would be a neater finish having them inside underneath floors I guess, especially if youre having other work done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now