Talk

Advanced search

Opinions on Sheffield

(4 Posts)
LittleDyn1982 Fri 19-May-17 21:53:38

In my never ending quest to move somewhere more affordable, we are looking at Sheffield as we saw a potential job opportunity there for DH. Could I have some opinions please on the area?
Is it a nice place to live? And by that I mean is it relatively safe? Are there good schools? Is there plenty of things to do with kids? (Kids are 3 and 1) Nice churches? Which are the recommended areas to live and any that should be avoided? We're obviously planning on visiting to get a feel, but any information about Sheffield would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Kokusai Sat 20-May-17 00:18:29

Hilly. Colder than London. Fab countryside <10 mins drive away if you live on the west side. Not that much employment opportunities other than the two unis and the hospitals. Generally (massive generalisation) people live quite an outdoorsy lifestyle hiking etc as the peaks is one of Sheffields main attractions.

Live on the west side 100%.

Lots of good schools. Not tiny catchment areas like London!

ChequeredPasta Sat 20-May-17 18:46:39

Sheffields brill! Lots to do, the peaks are 10 minutes away, and it's very affordable. Massive art scene due to the affordability of the housing.
The South West is the place to buy. Avoid northern sheffield (hills borough, parsons cross etc) and the south east. I know people who live in crookes and walk let (North West), and it's an alright place to live, but now where near as naice as the south west!

YellowCrocus Sat 20-May-17 18:56:22

I love living in Sheffield. South west is the place to buy. Great schools, amazing parks, loads to do with kids. Very safe. City centre is not great, but is improving. Would 100% recommend living here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now