Talk

Advanced search

installing skylights - what do I need to consider?

(10 Posts)
tanimbar Fri 19-May-17 21:14:06

We have a lovely, but very dark kitchen, meaning we need to have the lights on, even on a sunny day. It's in a single-storey part of the house, though with a substantial loft space above (sloping roof). We'd wondered about having some skylights added, to give us more light. Has anyone done this? How hard was it, and what was above your kitchen ceiling? Did it make the difference you'd hoped for?

PocketNiffler Sat 20-May-17 22:11:29

Bump

witwootoodleoo Sat 20-May-17 22:18:12

We went for suntubes rather than skylights and they transformed the space. Made it so much lighter and airy feeling

NotMeNoNo Sat 20-May-17 22:25:05

We have light tubes in our windowless hall and in a dark north facing bedroom. They are pretty effective although not as bright as a window. A couple would certainly replace having lights on and it's a nicer light especially on sunny days.

tanimbar Mon 22-May-17 22:36:35

Thanks guys - sorry not to respond sooner. What is a light/sun tube, and how are they different from skylights? Also, how did you figure out how many/what size you needed, or did you just guess at what would be enough light?

NotMeNoNo Tue 23-May-17 10:02:42

light tubes it's a bit of a leap of faith but they effect give the light of a hole in the roof of that size, or slightly more due to the dome.

indaba Tue 23-May-17 19:19:42

You may need planning permission and/or building control sign off. Check with your council.

bojorojo Tue 23-May-17 21:01:16

You normally do not need PP to add windows to a roof. Not sure about building regs so check with council. I don't think we did when we put a heritage roof light in our landing ceiling.

My Goodness! What a difference it makes! First of all, you can remove the ceiling to expose the roof. We did. Make absolutely certain it is structurally sound and you can add roof lights. They are better than sun tubes and more attractive if you have a suitable roof. A surveyor can help here. If the roof slopes a roof light is ideal. We love ours. My whole kitchen is in an orangery - total glass roof! Light is wonderful.

indaba Wed 24-May-17 21:37:45

We have done it in Bristol and Wandsworth and we had to get council involved in both places. Can't remember if it was full planning or just buiding regs but definitely remember waiting for the correct bits of paper. Rules vary by area. Having said that, it was 25 years ago so maybe rules now changed. However, it costs nothing to ask.

user1499151914 Tue 04-Jul-17 08:17:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now