Advanced search

What would you do? Offer accepted, surveybooked but now seen another property

(13 Posts)
MadameJosephine Fri 19-May-17 21:02:25

I accepted an offer on my house a few weeks ago, first time buyers, keen to move asap.

I then found a lovely period apartment, walking distance to DDs school and had my offer accepted. I've booked and paid for a survey to be done on Tuesday, solicitor instructed etc

However, a house has now come to my attention. It's been for sale for a few months but only this week was reduced to a price that was within my price range. Again, beautiful period property, within walking distance of school but has the advantage of private garden, an extra bedroom and it is freehold rather than leasehold.

What would you do? I can't book a viewing without coming clean to the agent selling the apartment because the house is on with them too so should I ring them and explain and ask to view? Don't want them to think I'm unreliable but I guess they will get their commission whichever property I buy won't they?

OVienna Fri 19-May-17 22:51:01

You don't want to be moving again in a couple if years. Go look at the house. X

MadameJosephine Fri 19-May-17 22:57:07

I think I will give the agent a ring in the morning. I don't really need the extra bedroom but the freehold thing definitely appeals more. The house is 20k more expensive but the apartment has a service charge which would make the monthly cost the same for both.

Maggy74653 Fri 19-May-17 22:58:00

I would just call the agent and be totally honest. It's never great to pull out of a sale but I can't totally understand your reasons here and I think they will too.

Kokusai Sat 20-May-17 00:09:25

Go look at the house.

MiddleClassProblem Sat 20-May-17 00:14:17

But it would be more business for them if the apartment you put an offer in with is with someone else. Besides you might see it and not want it then nothing changes. View it!

MiddleClassProblem Sat 20-May-17 00:15:40

Oh sorry, read it as house on theory the same people your property is selling with! Fail.

Still view it x

upwardsandonwards33 Sat 20-May-17 00:36:26

You definitely have to go and see it. Find out the owner's position etc. The estate agents won't mind -as pp said, it would ultimately mean more business for them.
Ask the survey to be put on hold - maybe it could be transferred?

MadameJosephine Sat 20-May-17 09:51:42

House viewing booked for 4.30 today. Estate agent very twitchy though, wanted to know if I was planning to pull out of apartment anyway so had to reassure her that I will proceed if I don't get the house (apparently a FTB is also viewing today). She couldn't tell me the vendors position either so I'll have to talk to them about that during the viewing. I might have to consider temporary accommodation so I don't lose my buyer as they have to be out of their rented by end of June but it'll be worth it to get the right property in the end

Wish me luck! (Not sure whether I want to love the house now or if it would be better to hate it!)

MiddleClassProblem Sat 20-May-17 17:14:23

How did it go?

MadameJosephine Sat 20-May-17 19:21:15

I'm sticking with the apartment.

It was a nice house but I think a lot of it's charm was the decor and furniture rather than the house itself. I also didn't like the street, the front window faced a massive block of dodgy looking flats. I think given the location it's still overpriced. Also the vendor hadn't even started looking for somewhere to move to yet so the chain could end up being an issue.

I'm glad I viewed it rather than thinking 'what if' but I have now banned looking on right move until my move is over grin

MiddleClassProblem Sat 20-May-17 19:56:38

Brill! Good luck with the sale and the lvecinto the apartment x

MiddleClassProblem Sat 20-May-17 20:05:23

Er...move to!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: