Talk

Advanced search

Polystyrene wallpaper - help!

(3 Posts)
furryleopard Fri 19-May-17 19:14:24

Our spare room randomly has a wallpaper in it with polystyrene backing. A google tells me it was all the rage in the 80s for damp and insulation. Is it worth removing? Is it a pain to remove, would it be better to find someone to do it? Any ideas? Thanks.

fairislecable Sat 20-May-17 06:43:49

We used that polystyrene foam on a cold damp wall many years ago. It was in a roll, just like wallpaper, and was stuck on with wallpaper paste.

It solved the problem of mould growth on the wall behind furniture, however if it was knocked it marked and dented easily.

It was probably fitted for the same reason so if you remove it be prepared to tackle the damp problems.

I can't see any problems with removing it unless it was stuck on with glue to hide crumbling plaster.

UnconsideredTrifles Sat 20-May-17 09:57:03

We removed this stuff from the study a few months ago. I just used a pallet knife style thing to go behind it and it came off easily. The walls were a state anyway so we had to replaster, but I don't think the polystyrene contributed to the problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now