Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen with sloped ceiling- extractor fan or hood??

(7 Posts)
Twobigbabies Fri 19-May-17 14:23:23

Hello! Not the most exciting topic in the world but we are about to start on a new kitchen extension and would be grateful for input from anyone who has something similar. The new kitchen will have a high sloping ceiling, because it is quite a large space we would like an island with ideally a cooker and hob within it so I can watch/interact with the children. If we install an extractor with hood over the island there will be a really long vent in the middle of the room and not sure how this will work with our plan for a green roof. Does anyone just use an extractor fan rather than a hood? Is it enough or does everything get covered in grease? Thank you!!

ExcuseMyEyebrows Fri 19-May-17 14:29:36

What about a downdraft extractor? This is just the first one to pop up (see what I did there? grin) when I googled.

DeanKoontz Fri 19-May-17 14:31:03

Can you vent through the ceiling?

Twobigbabies Fri 19-May-17 15:23:39

Thanks for the link Excuse.. Looks like a good option though don't know anyone with one.. my concern would be that it would take up a lot of storage space in the island and not extract particularly well given the angle.

Dean- sorry not very good on the terminology.. the duct (?) will be very long as the ceiling is high and I felt this might look a bit unsightly in the middle of the kitchen. We were looking at a sedum roof with lots of glass so also not much space for it to attach to the ceiling

WanderingTrolley1 Fri 19-May-17 15:25:23

I would say fan.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 20-May-17 05:15:42

A strong wall fan might be a compromise here ... but if you do lots of fragrant spicy cooking - maybe consider a bulkhead with ceiling extractor in over the hob area to hide extraction duct pipe .

QuitMoaning Sat 20-May-17 08:07:46

I will have the same, sloped ceiling, glass roof windows, island with hob.
I have decided on a downdraft extractor as I will create all this lovely space with high ceilings so don't want an extractor slap, bang in the middle.
They are considerably more expensive though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now