Talk

Advanced search

Side extension (again!)

(8 Posts)
MyDarlingWhatIfYouFly Thu 18-May-17 12:42:51

Looking back on past threads I can see this has been done to death, so apologies for yet another one - I have a specific question that I can't see answered.

We live on a street which mainly consists of semi-detached houses. I've seen guidelines re: leaving 1m between houses when building extensions to stop terracing. Our neighbour has built his side extension right up to the boundary. We want to side extend ours, but we now don't really have the width to make it worth it if we stay 1m away from his extension.

My q is, should he have built up to the boundary really, or is it just our bad luck that he did his extension first? We didn't live here when he did his extension, so not sure if the people who previously lived here were asked. Obviously there's nothing that can be done about it now, I'm just wondering.

Also, our house is at a slightly different angle and set a bit forward from his. Does that make a difference to the terracing?

Seeline Thu 18-May-17 12:53:55

The 1m thing is usually only for first floor additions, not ground floor, if that is relevant?

Being at a different angle may help if it widens the visual gap at first floor level. Would it appear that a gap existed if you stand opposite the properties?

BeachysSandyFlipflops Thu 18-May-17 12:54:29

It's possible that the wall is a party wall and you can use it as well? Worth looking into.

Wiifitmama Thu 18-May-17 15:17:35

We have just completed a side extension at the same time as our attached (in a semi) neighbour did theirs. The new wall between us is a party wall. I have never heard of leaving a 1m boundary. Both of use had to pass planning, building control and conservation area checks and that never came up!

MyDarlingWhatIfYouFly Fri 19-May-17 20:42:20

This is very encouraging, thanks all!!

Fourmagpies Fri 19-May-17 20:56:06

I tried to post yesterday but couldn't. Anyway, we're having a single storey side extension which will attach to our neighbour's existing single storey extension. Their wall is already a party wall due to how our boundaries work but don't think that made a difference.

MyDarlingWhatIfYouFly Fri 19-May-17 21:57:17

Do you need to leave space for access/maintenance? I guess not if you are attaching?

Fourmagpies Sat 20-May-17 08:00:49

No. The way we've configured our extension means we'll stay be able to access the garden through the utility area so don't need to go through the main house. The only maintenance where it attaches would be the gutters which we should just about be able to clean with long reach thingies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now