Talk

Advanced search

How can we turn this into a 3 bed? Pic included

(66 Posts)
Newhouse76 Wed 17-May-17 20:27:44

For various reasons we are unable to move from our flat burn need to convert it to 3 bedrooms to suit our family. We are pretty minimalist!

Would it make most sense to turn the living area into a kitchen/living area and use the kitchen as a bedroom? Another option would be to take a metre from the kitchen to create an alcove within the living room where the kitchen could go, using the rest of the kitchen as a bedroom. Finally I'm not sure about the logistics of turning the upstairs bedroom into a Kitchen or living area as it has 2 cupboards which go into the eves but I have attended a picture of the room. Eventually we want to be able to rent the flat out so it needs to be suitable for these purposes also.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Hulababy Wed 17-May-17 20:31:43

Could the master bedroom be divided with a temporary wall or even a bought-in divider?

Japonicathehorseygirl Wed 17-May-17 20:32:54

The kitchen alcove along living room wall sounds good. I would leave the top floor bedroom as it is it looks lovely

Smeaton Wed 17-May-17 20:35:40

Second door from kitchen into reception, split reception, make bedroom downstairs into living room?

Newhouse76 Wed 17-May-17 20:38:14

Thanks all for the responses!

Smeaton - do you mean to create a living room kitchen area and then a bedroom next to this?

Smeaton Wed 17-May-17 20:40:55

On the picture, the floor with the kitchen, bedroom and reception room.

I don't know if it would be possibly but if you split that reaction room down the middle, wall from window to kitchen. You'd have a door into the right hand side, the existing door, then put a door from kitchen into the left hand side. Make them bedrooms. The bedroom then becomes the living space downstairs.

Does that make sense?/grin

Newhouse76 Wed 17-May-17 20:42:19

Yes it does! However the picture isn't exactly to scale so the window would end up being caught between 2 rooms 🙈

SunEgg Wed 17-May-17 20:42:46

If you could afford it I would make the reception room into a kitchen diner and make the kitchen into your third bedroom.

Smeaton Wed 17-May-17 20:44:35

A drawing. Its great isn't it?
Red blob is living area, red line is split if reception, red door is new door.

I don't know your dimensions, might be too small.

Smeaton Wed 17-May-17 20:46:00

Ahh well just brick up the windows..... Lol.

grin

I'm helping.....

SunEgg Wed 17-May-17 20:47:44

Personally with young children, for me having the master bedroom on a different floor would just not work. But it depends who your clients are likely to be.

NaiceBiscuits Wed 17-May-17 20:52:45

How about you turn the master bedroom into a lounge with kitchen alcove, then turn the current kitchen and lounge into bedrooms?

Newhouse76 Wed 17-May-17 20:54:18

I'm loving your drawing smeaton thanks so much!

For now it's for DH and I, DD 9 and an au pair (my work situation is changing and we need someone to live in as DH also away with work). Hence we need 3 beds for now and will rent out to probably sharers later

Not sure if that information is helpful in any way!

minipie Wed 17-May-17 20:55:51

This will be the most expensive option by far, so may not be viable depending on your budget/value added, but I'm wondering whether you can add a mansard extension to the back of the master bedroom? if so then you would be able to carve out another bedroom up there and keep the rest as is.

Newhouse76 Wed 17-May-17 20:59:10

Hi mini pie - I should have mentioned that we did apply for planning permission for something similar but this was rejected as it's a conservation area angry

RandomMess Wed 17-May-17 21:00:07

What are the dimensions of the current bedrooms and lounge?

Or can you take better photos grin

Smeaton Wed 17-May-17 21:12:27

The answer is simple.
Turn the kitchen into a bedroom, eat at restaurants.

Happy to help.

grin

Seriously, I have no idea what you could do.

SnowBallsAreHere Wed 17-May-17 21:17:22

Look at your local council refs for HMOs.
You may find that letting to sharers requires more than just having 3 bedrooms. You might well need a licence, firedoors, interlinked smoke alarms & fire protection between the floors.

If you do plan to let to sharers in the future, you might want to do the upgrades needed at the same time as moving your kitchen.

Personally I'd go with the kitchen alcove in current kitchen, opening into current living room.

dahliaaa Wed 17-May-17 21:22:39

I would knock the wall down between the lounge and the kitchen then take a small part of the kitchen to make an alcohol be from the lounge to use as part kitchen. Then put in a stud wall behind this to make small single bedroom. It would be small but as the other two bedrooms are decent size think that would be ok.

dahliaaa Wed 17-May-17 21:24:18

'Alcohol be' is obviously alcove !!

Spindelina Wed 17-May-17 21:32:33

Could you turn the bathroom into a small bedroom (moving the wall a bit further into bedroom 2 if you wanted to even up the sizes a bit) and then carve a bathroom out of either the kitchen / living room or top floor?

My thinking being the location of your bedrooms is constrained by the location of your windows, esp on top floor, and a bathroom doesn't need a window.

FlouncingInTheRain Wed 17-May-17 21:33:37

I think I'd play around with some designs looking at splitting the lounge into two rooms, swap the kitchen and bathroom around. The slimmer bathroom space requirement would give access for sensible door positions into the two lounge replacement bedrooms. Have largeish open plan landing/ dining/ kitchen / lounge.

Newhouse76 Wed 17-May-17 21:38:08

Hi living room is currently 5.18x3.76
Kitchen is 3.61x3.28
Bedroom is 3.58x3.18
Loft bedroom is 5.49x5.18
Sorry about the rubbish floor plan! I've attached a couple of pics which might help

Neome Wed 17-May-17 21:39:06

When I was a teenager my family lived in a house where one bedroom had been divided into two 'cabin' bedrooms (by the previous family) ie built in divider incorporating shelves desks etc possibly built in beds, can't remember. No space for extra furniture except chair IIRC. It was a very clever design, the window was split. Not straight partitions but in essence:

Imagine splitting the window in your living room dividing partition starts from centre of window, small rectangular lobby created inside reception room door to give each small room it's own door, each room is given approx half the remaining floor area giving one longer thin room and one slightly squarer.
It worked well, very thin as built with wood/laminated board rather than space hungry partition wall. Could be a good space for au pair and DD.
You then potentially use bedroom 2 and master becomes generous shared living space.
In our case the dividing element was easily removed and the room restored when we moved.

RandomMess Wed 17-May-17 21:45:08

Yeah a shared house I had - the partition did that. Loft bed in one room so they were sleeping above the person in the room next door!

I need measurements in feet - sorry!

Rooms look fairly large tbh Cheapest would be to make the current kitchen larger to incorporate a lounge...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now