Talk

Advanced search

Comfortable sofa beds - do these exist?

(22 Posts)
Mumneedstea Wed 17-May-17 14:13:23

We bought a house last year and while it seemed big enough at the time, now with DC2 here it suddenly seems small.
We have always had a spare bedroom in all our previous rented houses - mostly because whenever my parents or in laws visit us they are likely to stay for a good 2-3 months (they live in another country and it just doesn't make sense for them to take a 9 hour flight for a week's visit!)

DS1 is currently sleeping in the box room and DS2 is in our room for now. Sometime in the near future I want to covert the guest room into the boys room with bunk beds. This would leave me with no room for the parents.
We do have a good sized lounge and the only other alternative right now is to put in a nice sofa bed in there for them to sleep.
The box room would be empty, but I don't see how I could fit anything in there.

Is there a comfy sofa bed out there? One that's a good sofa and looks nice during the day and is also comfy for sleeping?

TIA smile

YogaDrone Wed 17-May-17 15:02:04

I have a lovely comfortable sofa bed. It's the "Harry" from Sofa Workshop Here

It's not cheap but it is very comfortable both as a sofa (it's in our living room and gets daily use!) and as a sofa bed. I think the best sofa beds are the metal action ones. The futon style ones are never as comfortable in my opinion.

paap1975 Wed 17-May-17 15:05:09

I think this is mine. My sister and her hubby once slept on it for 6 weeks and said it was very comfortable: www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/sofas-armchairs/sofa-beds-chair-beds/vilasund-sofa-bed-with-chaise-longue-borred-grey-green-spr-29212327/

Mumneedstea Sun 21-May-17 20:07:22

Thanks for the recommendations. Will keep these in mind when we finally get around to it smile

monsieurpoirot Sun 21-May-17 20:38:52

Other possibilities would be to put bunk beds in box room and move ds there when you gave guests. Or a Hmes day bed that extends to a double in box room... it would be a pain to lose your lounge for 2 months imo

Mumneedstea Wed 31-May-17 14:01:31

Monsieur that could be a good idea too. Will measure the box room and see what options we have. Thanks!

NotMeNoNo Wed 31-May-17 22:17:10

The Ikea Lycksele bed is surprisingly comfortable. Once out its omly the footprint of a double mattress. Can you get a double folding bed/zed bed ?

FinallyGotAnIPhone Wed 31-May-17 23:30:50

Man in sofa shop once told me that no, sofa beds are not comfy sofas OR beds. Having had a sofa bed as my main sofa for many years - I agree! What about a good quality king size air bed?

Cathpot Wed 31-May-17 23:40:05

This might not be a practical suggestion but just in case- We had same dilemma and we ended up having a pull down bed. DH built a faux cupboard in the study and you open up the doors and pull the bed down - it's a mechanism you buy. Not cheap but it's like sleeping on a proper bed as it has a normal mattress. Then it all goes away afterwards. You could sleep the kids in a bunk bed in the box room, have the current bedroom as their play room and have a fold down bed in the playroom for when guests come?

purpleladybird Thu 01-Jun-17 01:58:14

I agree with other posters - even if you did find a comfortable sofa bed, it wouldn't be practical for your visitors to spend 2-3 months in your living room.

The suggestion above of having the box room for bunk beds and the other room as a playroom come guest room would get my vote. You could buy a day bed from IKEA which would be a bit like a sofa in the playroom but convert to a proper full size bed when needed. It could also be handy if one of your boys is unwell or doesn't sleep you have flexibility in the bedrooms when you don't have guests.

Either that or explore what you could fit in the box room to make it a guest room. I think most people would rather have a tiny room with a bed that they can use as their own than a sofa bed in the lounge.

Girlwhowearsglasses Thu 01-Jun-17 17:49:54

Playroom/guest room gets my vote because sometimes I really wish I'd made their bedroom a toy-free zone just for sleeping.

You'd need good storage in the playroom though

Girlwhowearsglasses Thu 01-Jun-17 17:51:35

My parents have an IKEA raynes that opens as a king size bed when we stay- it's fine and +++ is big.

A lot of sofa beds with mechanisms are only a small double

Girlwhowearsglasses Thu 01-Jun-17 17:51:59

That's should say IKEA daybed btw

Mumneedstea Thu 01-Jun-17 19:23:13

The suggestion to put bunk beds in the box room and use the guest rooms as a play room sounds great! However, my box room actually has one of those boxes which is tje the top bit of the staircase iyswim. So I am not sure how I can for an bunk beds in there. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Girlwhowearsglasses Thu 01-Jun-17 19:33:03

Pinterest is your friend!

Search 'built-in beds' or 'ikea hacks'

Mumneedstea Thu 01-Jun-17 19:39:21

Just measured the room.. It's 185 cms in width and 220 cms in length excluding the box and 300 including the box.
I have a feeling that anything that will fit in the room will have to be custom made and will cost a lot!

Cathpot Thu 01-Jun-17 22:19:42

You might be ok- IKEA svarta bunk bed for instance is 208cm long

TheGoodWife16 Sat 03-Jun-17 08:02:46

We have a double size air bed which is v comfy and is stored in a bag when not in use. It's brilliant. It's a divan style with the height of normal beds. Easily inflated at the push of a button. Look at aerobed.

Here's ours made up awaiting guests....

TheGoodWife16 Sat 03-Jun-17 08:41:00

Another image of the bed.

PocketNiffler Sun 04-Jun-17 19:49:22

Google "shorty bunk beds" for the box room - this one for example is 180cm long.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4255662

RandomMess Sun 04-Jun-17 21:31:37

This place does bespoke bunk beds that are very affordable, worth having a look at for certain.

They do shorty ones as a standard too.

www.pinebed.co.uk/

Mumneedstea Mon 05-Jun-17 17:01:35

GoodWife that aerobed looks very comfy! Might look into that one.

Niffler the Argos bed would be perfect for the box room... I may even be able to fit it in horizontally and save space. Thanks!

Random I shall have a look at pinebed and see how they compare to the Argos ones.

Thanks all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now