Talk

Advanced search

Which offer should I accept?

(6 Posts)
BubbleFrog Tue 16-May-17 18:36:39

After marketing our property for a while we finally have two offers in the space of a few days.

Our situation- we had previously had an offer on a house which fell through and are actively looking without much luck. Our new house would be purchased with inheritance so no mortgage needed but would like a project so know we may have to go in to rented at some point.

Offer A- At asking price. They have a entry level property to sell and have put it on the market within two days of offering on ours. It is well priced and agent says they love our house. They also may be in a position to proceed to buy our house based on savings but will find out later this week.

Offer B- 10k below asking but has upped it to just 5k below and says this is a far as he will go. Mortgage in principle in place and chain free.

EA says go with option two although maybe he wants a quick sale? My priority is getting the house sold so I want to go with the person who will make that happen, the 5k difference doesn't bother us.

DH's priority is having something in place before selling, he does not want to spend ages renting and going through the bother of moving multiple times and living in cramped quarters (we have 1 dd). The rental market being what it is in London we could never afford to rent anything like the house we live in.

Offer A is likely to take some time to complete as it is a chain. DH wants to go with this offer as he thinks that it means we have more time to work out what's going to happen and less pressure on us. I want to go to the chain free person as I just want the sale to go through, but am worried the buyer has less to lose IYSWIM and lots of sales are falling through in London at the moment.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

sunnysouthend Tue 16-May-17 18:44:23

Me, I would go with A because as your DH says it gives you time to find the right property for you, theirs is entry level so likely to sell to first time buyers, and they are more invested. Plus 5k will do a good 2-3 months rent in London.

wowfudge Tue 16-May-17 18:51:47

A for the reasons your DH and the pp have given.

LosingDory Tue 16-May-17 18:58:40

A because they sound less likely to muck you about further down the line even if they take slightly longer to get going

imsorryiasked Tue 16-May-17 19:01:17

Will option b go for an extended period been exchange and completion?
I think I'd still go for B even if he wanted quick completion as you've said you may need to rent anyway and aren't bothered about 5k so can probably afford to rent a big enough property that isn't cramped.

BrexitSucks Tue 16-May-17 19:06:10

Why are you moving? I think might be relevant.
I like B because they are in position to move now. Surer bet.
Renting for 6 months from when you move out wasn't a huge hassle for us, and took the pressure off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now