Talk

Advanced search

Anyone successfully sound proofed/reduced upright piano?

(6 Posts)
Newquay Tue 16-May-17 16:42:27

Day 2 of new piano and neighbour has complained. It is against an adjoining wall (and it cost £100 and took 3 blokes to move it - so I'm reluctant to move it - no where else for it to go). So I'm looking to sound proof it. Any ideas or success stories?

LizzieMacQueen Tue 16-May-17 17:04:03

I heard egg crates are good. Or a thick piece of carpet down the back of the piano. But best really to move it to a non adjoining wall.

hiddenmnetter Tue 16-May-17 17:17:37

Depends how much work you want to do. If you have absolutely no-where else to move it then you'll need to put some kind of soundproofing there.

that could be as little as hanging a rug on the wall, or you could go the whole hog and strip the wall back to brick and get acoustic gyprock with rigid insulation foam and put that on to the wall and get it plastered over.

If you don't mind it being a little untidy then an 8x4 sheet of rigid insulation foam behind the piano costs around £10 with a rug or something draped over it all put behind the piano will block some noise.

Or tell them that they live in a terraced house and that you'll try to consider them and play quietly/not play at certain times but terraced life means neighbours noise...

Newquay Wed 17-May-17 07:43:00

Thank you for really helpful and quick responses (I love mumsnet)

tabithasgran Wed 17-May-17 08:53:52

There's sound insulation available on Amazon needs to be under and behind the piano to work well IME

cingolimama Wed 17-May-17 09:09:54

Effective soundproofing costs money. Forget about egg crates as they are useless. Sound waves are carried not just through the wall, but through the floor, ceilings and through the air.

I really think that for the sake of neighbourly relations you have to take this seriously. Hidden has some good ideas about acoustic gyprock (though disagree with the rug idea). You might want to consider getting a professional quote, as you will end up paying a bit more, but you will get honest advice and something effective.

I'm extremely sympathetic because my DD is a musician and practises diligently. We've spent a LOT on professional grade soundproofing, as we live in terraced housing in London, but feel it's well worth it for the sake of being a considerate neighbour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now