Talk

Advanced search

Another kitchen plan - please critique!!

(19 Posts)
Windowbasket Mon 15-May-17 21:47:11

And so the quest for the perfect kitchen plan continues! The sink needs to stay where it is so that is decided. The fridge (on opposite wall) is not ideally located but I can live with that compromise. Worried about the double oven in tower to right of island as it is too close (opening oven door might not be very practical!). Wondering about changing hob for a 900 range instead and then having a nice flow of work surface rather than it being broken up with the tower at the end. But then I don't know if 900 wide ranges are any good and also I don't have a budget for a decent range!

QuitMoaning Mon 15-May-17 22:29:09

Is the sink on the island? Why does that have to stay? I would prefer hob and sink to swap (that is what I am having as the island will be the social area and I don't want to gather round dirty dishes).

YorkshireTea86 Tue 16-May-17 09:58:46

What is the distance between the island and oven? It does look close. If your not sure about a range why not 2 single ovens built under the hob like this

Windowbasket Tue 16-May-17 11:26:15

Thanks for your replies smile Yes - I'm going to keep the sink on the island - I do know what you mean but I'm going to run with this one and I will have a dishwasher beside the sink. Yes - the space between the island and the proposed oven tower is definitely too narrow in my opinion - 700mm!! And so I think I am going to replace the hob with side by side ovens as suggested - OR go for a range IF I can find one I can afford! I will then have an under counter cupboard to the right of the island which will make a nice worktop flow, and I can have the end of the island changed slightly to reduce the size so that I will have an 800 mm clearance on the problematic side. All other distances between the island and appliances/table & chairs are 1 meter, does that sound ok ..? I've been losing sleep over this!

minipie Tue 16-May-17 11:30:26

Hmm I think it will drive you mad having the fridge so far away from the hob.

Personally I would put fridge where hob is, hob on the island (for reasons quit says) and sink on the back wall. Ovens could go next to fridge in a tower, or under hob as shown above.

I might also consider turning the island 90 degrees so that it faces the garden/dining table. In that case I would put fridge on back wall and sink where hob is. I haven't measured this option out though - it might mean you have to have a smaller island, or have only very shallow storage on the wall where fridge is currently. (Shallow storage is v useful though, for larder items, glasses and mugs, crockery etc).

Your current gap between island and hob run looks quite large - how big is it? I reckon a gap of 900mm is about right, too much larger and it will feel too far away when you are cooking/prepping.

minipie Tue 16-May-17 11:32:11

Sorry cross posted!

Windowbasket Tue 16-May-17 12:10:11

Thanks, Minniepie - it is so helpful to have other people's views on this. Maybe we can move the island slightly towards the hob as perhaps 900mm as you suggest would be find and it would then allow a little more space between the stools on the back of the island and the fridge/walk through ...

wowfudge Tue 16-May-17 12:40:34

How about an L shaped island with the bottom, short part of the L parallel to the fridge? Then you've got somewhere to put things when unpacking shopping and it kind of echoes the units round the side of the room? We have our sink on the island and range cooker behind against the wall.

bojorojo Tue 16-May-17 13:45:50

You have informal seating taking up a lot of space right next to formal seating! This means the kitchen is a bit compromised in my view.

Definitely turn the island through 90 degrees and have more storage in the dining area. You need to think about work triangles. Therefore you need everything handy between the sink, fridge hob and ovens. Walking around units and islands is a pain. I would have the kitchen where the dining table is and have the table where the gap is. I assume this looks down the garden. You would find planning a lot easier with this layout and it is better use of space.

YorkshireTea86 Tue 16-May-17 13:50:57

How wide is the entrance to the room? Between where the oven is on your plan and the wall where the fridge is?

minipie Tue 16-May-17 15:18:09

The only thing is, having said 900mm is right, I don't have a dishwasher in that gap (so no big door to open iyswim). I would try very hard to find a layout which doesn't have the dishwasher opening in that gap as it will be a PITA if you do. (Another reason to consider turning the island 90 degrees).

Windowbasket Tue 16-May-17 21:34:53

Bojo - I know what you mean! It is a flexible space - we may end up sticking a sofa there and keeping it a more casual kitchen diner - and we can have our dining table in the room next door. Am currently planning to lose the double oven in a tower and replace with a range where the job currently is.

Windowbasket Tue 16-May-17 21:36:27

Yorkshire - the entrance to the room is about 9 feet.

YorkshireTea86 Wed 17-May-17 06:47:28

Just needed ifor here was anyway to shorten that and put the fridge where the oven tower is? Then you wouldn't be walking around the island every time you make a cup of tea etc.

YorkshireTea86 Wed 17-May-17 06:48:42

*wondered if there was not needed ifor here! No idea what happened therehmm

unapaloma Wed 17-May-17 07:00:31

I'd go and get Homebase to help build a design - their staff (and other diy stores, I'm sure) have training in what does and doesn't work, and would help you avoid pitfalls. You don't have to buy their stuff afterwards (I think there may be a small charge for the design if you don't, and its free if you do).
There's a thing called a working triangle for the main functions, which you'd normally try to achieve because it makes for a good flow. And i' m fairly sure there is guidance on minimum gaps etc; without going through things like that, you risk designing something that seems a bit odd, and could out off buyers when you sell?

I've never used a design service for anything else, but you can't easily change a kitchen once its done, and its a costly project to get wrong.

unapaloma Wed 17-May-17 07:04:33

And as a complete amateur I'd want the dishwasher right by the sink, as I often rinse things in the sink and wouldn't want a trail of dribbles across between the 2 (and would get dizzy moving several thing from sink to dishwasher with it behind).

tabithasgran Wed 17-May-17 08:52:00

IMO Planning your big investment purchase this way on a forum full of other people who don't really know the planning guidelines is fun, but it's not in the same league as working with a design pro! If you look in most of the long kitchen advice threads there's an independent designer's name who keeps popping up. Give her a call and get it done right!
Shop around and get the best deal based on that one plan. Then sit back and relax knowing it will be great when it's finished.
Takes the worry out of it and you know it will work, be safe and improve your homes value. Get this wrong and it could be an expensive disaster!

Windowbasket Wed 17-May-17 09:04:16

This was actually a Homebase plan! Except the Homebase plan was worse - it had the oven tower on the opposite side of the island beside the fridge! I don't think my plan is going to be a disaster - I've been looking at so many plans on Houzz, Pinterest and also Devol and Higham websites. Think I'm nearly there but won't miss the waking up at 3am thing thinking about it all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now