Talk

Advanced search

Can I convert my summer house in to an office/occasional guest house?

(8 Posts)
bubbalo Mon 15-May-17 19:32:38

I have a large summer house in my garden measuring approximately 5.5mx3.5m and made of timber. It is very basic and normally houses lots of junk.

I wanted to make it in to a year round office/space that I could house an occasional overnight guest. It has power already installed in it.

I'm willing to spend money to make it nice inside as it is only a couple of years old and all the insulated garden studios I have seen are 10k plus and I dont want it to go to waste.

Any ideas? Piglet John?

Kokusai Mon 15-May-17 19:39:34

Insulation! Floor walls and roof.
Ventilation.
Heating.

Thesofaneedsmetositonit Mon 15-May-17 22:29:39

We did this last summer.

A lot of blood, sweat & tears involved but well worth it.

Electrics for sockets, wall heaters & light switches needed. As PP said - insulation then interior paint.

Flooring laid (basic carpet tiles)

Waterproofing the external wood then painting it.

Alarm sensor (ADT) added. A good lock added.

No planning permission needed.

SauvignonGrower Mon 15-May-17 22:48:45

We are doing this. Have replaced the windows and doors to improve the structure and are now just making good the internal doors. We already had electricity wired up.

yoursforthetalking Tue 16-May-17 03:15:09

Are you thinking of adding a bathroom if it's for occasional guests? I wonder if you might need planning for that?

Sounds lovely though.

fiftyplustwo Tue 16-May-17 04:21:51

Bathroom? That seems tricky and unnecessary but I suppose (without really knowing anything about it) you could always install a Cinderella incineration toilet.

VanillaSugar Tue 16-May-17 04:23:28

Spiders. That is all shock

bojorojo Tue 16-May-17 09:46:30

A loo and basin might be a step too far! Handy for guests though if possible. My summerhouse has wood floor and is insulated. Heating is portable heater if we need it but we rarely use it for an overnight stay. We do have a loo in the garage that's fairly close! I think a home office is a great idea but where is the junk going? We have garden furniture in ours in the winter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now