Talk

Advanced search

Painting floorboards, over osmo oil?

(7 Posts)
MaryHays Mon 15-May-17 18:42:29

We sanded the floor in the children's playroom a few months ago. I was originally going to paint the floorboards in F&B Railings, and got talked out of it, and we applied Osmo Polyx oil instead. But I don't like it! Can I just paint directly over it or will I need to get the floor sanded again? And if the latter, will it need to be fully sanded or just a buff? Thanks!

AgathaF Mon 15-May-17 19:24:26

I think it will need a light sand first. The Osmo is a wax/oil to the paint won't stick to it properly. Doable with a hand sander though.

wowfudge Mon 15-May-17 20:21:12

You'll​ probably need a primer before the top coat. Zinsser are usually really good.

msrisotto Mon 15-May-17 20:22:08

You'll need to sand it.

NotMeNoNo Mon 15-May-17 23:31:50

Have you thought of going over with a tinted hardwax oil. The Osmo wood wax finish comes in black and could probably be tinted to charcoal with a drop of white. I have used the white and it is opaque in two coats.

MaryHays Mon 15-May-17 23:47:09

That's a really interesting idea, NotMe. Do you think it would work if there's already 2 coats of Polyx oil on the wood? Looking at the instructions, it looks like they recommend putting the wood wax stain on first, followed by a coat of Polyx. I might give Osmo a call and see what they say - thanks for the idea!

NotMeNoNo Tue 16-May-17 10:28:54

Osmo are really helpful and also some of their suppliers like AG woodcutter and Wood Finishes Direct. The wood wax finish is just a thinner tinted version of Polyx Oil I think, but they will know.

The other thing is the Osmo products are child safe and environmentally friendly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now