Advanced search

Is this safe to remove?? Gas

(18 Posts)
SleepForTheWeek Mon 15-May-17 12:33:09

Recently had our gas fire removed. Gas engineer shit off the gas for us and capped the inlet.

I'm now left with this sticking it the floor which is stopping me putting furniture where I want it!!

Can I just remove this using the screws or is that going to cause a huge gas leak??

thecapitalsunited Mon 15-May-17 12:39:05

I'm not a gas fitter so wouldn't touch it. I would seriously doubt if you could remove that though - that is the bit that's capped so if you remove it then your gas pipe will no longer be capped surely? You probably should have asked for it to be removed at the time.

SleepForTheWeek Mon 15-May-17 12:40:33

Yes that was my thoughts too.

I wasn't in when the gas fire was removed so didn't ask - will give them a ring though and see what they say 👍🏻

ExplodedCloud Mon 15-May-17 12:44:25

I would advise against taking a screwdriver to it. If you have had to the property and that pipe is connected to that supply then yes you'll have a leak

LightYears Mon 15-May-17 12:50:43

Looks like the "engineer" has bunged a bolt in and sealed it with silicon sealant shock

LightYears Mon 15-May-17 12:52:00

I'll try and post a picture of the one I have in my kitchen that has been sealed.

MrsJayy Mon 15-May-17 12:53:25

Its been capped dont touch it there is a gas supply attached you need to get your engineer back Dh put ours back under the floor but he is qualified

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Mon 15-May-17 12:58:18

Was that done by a professional? Did you check him out on the Gas Safety Register Thingy website? (No I can't remember what's actually called.)

Looks a bit of a bodge job confused

SleepForTheWeek Mon 15-May-17 13:00:07

Yes it was done by a professional - definitely won't touch it. Will phone and see if he can remove it safely. Will put up with it until then 😩

FannyWisdom Mon 15-May-17 13:02:34

It's capped.
There is still gas being fed to it.
You need a plumber to cap it below the floor (cut off that tap and poke it through) needs to be a gas safe plumber.

LightYears Mon 15-May-17 13:10:37

This was sealed when I had the gas cooker point moved. Capped off with copper and soldered. The white bits are paint.

MrsJayy Mon 15-May-17 13:20:06

The white stuff is a tape not sillicone the husband had rolls of it about the house when he was an engineer

LightYears Mon 15-May-17 13:22:05

I don't think tape would be much better either.

user1471495191 Mon 15-May-17 13:27:16

Gas safe PTFE tape should be yellow I think hmm

user1471495191 Mon 15-May-17 13:28:39

Oh no, looking again it comes on a yellow reel but is still white so could be correct...

MrsJayy Mon 15-May-17 13:32:17

I dunno what it does it went on after the soldering

PigletJohn Mon 15-May-17 15:28:48

the thing coming out of the floor is a gas fitting that a gas fire can be connected to. It has been sealed closed to prevent it leaking. The white PTFE tape seals the threads where the plug has been screwed into the end of the pipe.

You can't do anything to it yourself. To remove it the floor would have to come up, which householders don't usually like.

If you are sure you will never ever want a gas fire ever again, you can have it removed, but rather than have a hidden gas pipe, live, under the floor, you should have it disconnected from the supply at the other end as well. It might be fed from a pipe near your gas meter or near your cooker. It's a job for a gas-safe fitter,

Neome Mon 15-May-17 15:42:36

Obviously PigletJohn is the expert and right.

I just wanted to add. Imagine it had been capped with a live gas supply pipe invisible under the floorboards and you or a future occupier did some work which involved knocking in a nail through a floorboard somewhere along the route of the pipe...

I had to have a lot of unused live pipe, originally feeding gas lights, disconnected when I moved into an old house. An electrician told me the stairlift could have 'gone live' and I believe a previous occupant was travelling up and down on it with an oxygen tank.

I live in the middle of a row of terraced houses.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: