Talk

Advanced search

Need help turning what looks like stopcock? Picture

(7 Posts)
WhereAmIGoingWhatAmIDoing Sun 14-May-17 16:38:40

Hello,

Moved into a property recently. We want to use the hose in the garden but when we turn outside tap nothing comes out, we have been told by previous occupier that the other 'stopcock' under sink (pictured) is for the outside tap. However, no matter what we do it won't turn? Any tips.

We have already tried, wrench, hammer, crowbar, lubricant and pliers.

Thanks!

specialsubject Sun 14-May-17 17:34:57

If it is that solid you will need to turn off the water, cut it out and replace with new pipe and new stopcock.

Remember to turn stopcocks every six months or so.

WhereAmIGoingWhatAmIDoing Sun 14-May-17 17:41:28

Thanks! We moved in a few months ago and the house was empty for 5 months before we lived here, which might explain it!

PigletJohn Sun 14-May-17 17:51:53

stopcocks have "T" shaped handles, so I reckon that is a stopcock.

Which directions have you tried turning it? This is important.

I can't see what the pipe is made of that it is attached to. A lead or copper pipe may bend or break. A steel one probably won't.

It is possible to remove the working parts from a stopcock and replace them with new. If you are not fond of plumbing, ask around for a well-recommend local plumber. A wrinkly one is best for this sort of job. Preferably wearing a dirty cloth cap.

If you have got a water meter or an outside stopcock, use this to turn the water supply off before starting work. Once you have turned off the supply you can try loosening the small nut under the handle.

A tip with stopcocks: Never turn the handle hard to the end. For open, fully open it then close half a turn. For closed, use your fingers only. If a tap won't close tight with finger pressure, it probably needs a new washer. The best way to damage a tap washer is to habitually turn it with excessive force.

WhereAmIGoingWhatAmIDoing Sun 14-May-17 19:25:25

Thanks Piglet John!

We've been trying to turn it anti-clockwise.

We have another stopcock (which is quite new and easy to turn) for the main water and no water meter, this stopcock is just for the outside tap (it's what we've been told anyway). I would like to be able to use the hose

The pipes all look copper, it's an old house

PigletJohn Sun 14-May-17 20:11:39

try turning it both ways, just a fraction. It may come loose.

WhereAmIGoingWhatAmIDoing Mon 15-May-17 08:09:54

Thanks, tried that too and it doesn't budge!

Time to call a plumber, I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now