Talk

Advanced search

Buying an ex council house

(62 Posts)
Rainsbow Sun 14-May-17 16:36:00

There is no way of writing this nicely.

If one was to buy an ex council house, are the neighbours likely to be...council?

Please don't flame. How else could that be worded? It's not meant to cause offence. Buying a house its important to consider neighbours/local environment. I don't know how to find out if the other houses are now privately owned or still council tenants.

ivykaty44 Sun 14-May-17 16:37:48

33% of ex council houses are owned by private landlords, does that help

Rainsbow Sun 14-May-17 16:38:28

Yes it does thank you! A rather low figure unfortunately but helpful.

drinkswineoutofamug Sun 14-May-17 16:55:40

If you know the postcode try
www.streetchecker.co.uk

Tells you about house prices, crimes, council, let, bought and employment in the area.

WhereAmIGoingWhatAmIDoing Sun 14-May-17 17:13:49

I lived in and next to an ex-council house. The next door house was rented out and the private tenants where awful... so even if it's privately owned it could be let out to awful people.

So, whether they are council tenants or not will make much difference. To be honest the council tenants where much nicer!

WhereAmIGoingWhatAmIDoing Sun 14-May-17 17:19:01

* Sorry, I meant:
'So, whether they are council tenants or not will NOT make much difference.'

SaorAlbaGuBrath Sun 14-May-17 17:20:17

We live in an ex council estate and most of our neighbours own their homes, a few council tenants and a few private lets. It tends to be the private let tenants who cause problems if there are any!

WishITookLifeSeriously Sun 14-May-17 17:20:47

I live in an ex council house with council tenants either side. They are the nicest neighbours I've ever had.

Solasum Sun 14-May-17 17:21:24

I am on a Council built estate. From the people I see I estimate 33% is about right for private tenants. The good thing is that the council is still very involved, and clamps down heavily and immediately on anything unpleasant. I have always felt very safe here. I think it depends very much on the area in question.

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 14-May-17 17:24:43

I'm a HA tenant, and I'm lovely, honest!
However, I'm soon going to be applying to move to a different HA and I'll be driving past at all times of day and night, checking local FB groups, chatting to as many people around the area as I can.
I'd do this anywhere, moving, wether buying or not, is a huge investment and you need to be sure it's the right area/property for you.

Supersmith Sun 14-May-17 17:30:07

I think it depends on the area. I live in ex-council and it's now private rented. One next door neighbour is renovating his house and it looks really smart. The other neighbour is an elderly lady we don't hear a peep out of.
The only issue I have is that the walls are so thin.

DancingLedge Sun 14-May-17 17:30:50

Unfortunate that more council houses haven't been sold?angry

crispmuncher Sun 14-May-17 17:31:37

You could buy a brand new house in a lovely area but your neighbours could still be dicks

RoganJosh Sun 14-May-17 17:32:55

This might help, is a map of deprivation.
Also you can have a look to see if all the doors and windows are the same to work out if they are still council.

vis.oobrien.com/booth/

specialsubject Sun 14-May-17 17:33:20

If next door is a rental and full of skanks, at some point the landlord may evict or they move on. If they own they can behave as they please?

StoorieHoose Sun 14-May-17 17:33:24

I live in a terraced ex council house. Council tenants next door are lovely. Other side bought theirs and they are the most awful neighbours ever. Parties fights cars revving screaming and doors banging all hours of the day and night. Give me the council tenants any day

khajiit13 Sun 14-May-17 17:34:14

I rent an ex council house. My neighbours are council and they're friendly and polite, keep to themselves mostly. It's great.
I can't see the issue tbh. If you have an issue with council tenant neighbours your can complain to the HA and they will receive warnings and can be evicted. If you have the neighbours from hell and they own the house, FA you can do.

Dolly80 Sun 14-May-17 17:38:27

I live in a terraced ex council house. Of the 12 houses on our street, 2 are owned by a housing association with another 1 rented out by a private landlord. The rest are owned by the occupiers.

We've never had any problems. Added bonuses are the rooms are lovely and big, the walls are well soundproofed and, being mid-terrace, our heating costs have been low.

MissPollyPops Sun 14-May-17 18:43:12

Pretty much most of the accommodation in my town is ex council.
Look up Zoopla sold prices for the street. Then u can get a estimate of how many are bought...

crabwoman Sun 14-May-17 18:59:17

Due to bitter personal experience with our first home, I'd be more concerned about private tenants than Council.
Councils and HA tend to be pretty hot on anti social behaviour and have dedicated teams to assist 'problem tenants'. In our local area they repair damaged property quickly.
Private landlords generally aren't that bothered as long as the rent is paid.

stuntcamel Sun 14-May-17 19:08:08

If it is an 'ex-council' house, then I'm assuming that you are talking about a house build mid-70's and prior. If so, then pretty much all of them were bought by the original tenants at the time under the right to buy scheme.

They have probably changed hands a number of times since then, and may now be owned by private buy-to-let landlords.

specialsubject Sun 14-May-17 19:27:53

crabwoman I got a letter from someone who thought I wasn't bothered about the behaviour of a tenant. I assure you I was, but it takes months to evict and if the tenant won't allow visits, landlord has to stay away or get done for harrassment. This is regardless of damage or rent payment or otherwise.

If there is a fixed term it is very difficult to get repossession. If there isn't, it stil takes months.

FanjoForTheMammaries Sun 14-May-17 19:40:08

How can it not cause offence to imply that council tenants are undesirable?

Highalert Sun 14-May-17 20:24:39

If they sit in their front garden on an old sofa they are council.

namechangealerttt Sun 14-May-17 21:19:04

You can pay about £4 at the land registry and see who owns a property, you will see if it is individuals or a council or a housing association. You won't know the proportion of private owners in the area but you will know about the next door neighbour. You won't know if it is private rented but you could google and try to see if any rentals come up, or knock on the door and introduce yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now