Talk

Advanced search

Baths - like a roll top but flat and easier to get in?

(15 Posts)
drspouse Sun 14-May-17 12:26:11

We have a roll top bath in our new house but it's really high and hard to get in (even for me let alone the two small DCs), and DH hates the shower part (not flat enough to stand easily, plus he hates clingy shower curtains).

I thought of a roll top with a square end and shower screen but I'm worried it will still be too deep/not flat.

specialsubject Sun 14-May-17 16:19:18

These things went out for a reason! Get a normal bath from showroom and do some trial climbing in and out before buying.

drspouse Sun 14-May-17 16:30:48

I'm sure the DCs will have a blast climbing in all the baths! We'll remove their shoes first...

PigletJohn Sun 14-May-17 18:00:22

you mean a free-standing iron bath with dragon's feet?

drspouse Sun 14-May-17 21:36:12

Our current one has square feet, but yes, that kind of thing.

PigletJohn Mon 15-May-17 14:15:57

If you want a bath with a shower end, I think you might need to look at less quirky styles.

I see there are some freestanders that are higher at the head end than the foot end, but you might still have to clamber over the taps.

this is a run-of-the mill supplier
www.plumbworld.co.uk/freestanding-baths-34-0000

PigletJohn Mon 15-May-17 14:20:08

btw you could fit a few strong handrails (as used by infirm people)

they are often cheap-looking painted, but you may find some in brass or chrome that are stylish enough to look like towel rails.

I got a solid brass pub-door-handle once to put by a bath. You do need long, strong screws and plugs to take the weight of a stumbling person.

drspouse Mon 15-May-17 16:10:14

It's this kind of thing

www.bathroomcity.co.uk/product/blenheim-1700-single-ended-roll-top-bath

Except with a shower screen fitted - so it sits properly in the corner of the bathroom with either a full tiled wall (except it's currently half tiled and I bet we can't match it) or a screen on 3 sides.

But there's still the depth problem. And the not very flat bottom problem.

suzyrut Mon 15-May-17 17:09:40

This one is a roll top but has a shower screen side and the wall side also has a bit of an attaching bit which means water doesn't go down behind it (sorry descriptive powers have left me this afternoon) hopefully the picture will describe what I am failing to...

www.soakology.co.uk/baths/shower-baths/burlington-hampton-shower-bath-150-x-75cm-rh-freestanding-white/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwo-XIBRCOycL7hsuI_NoBEiQAuS6HtP3I0iWpm2ikevFLk_1U_z1BSpiXApxHAwdmUMi9PJMaAp0Z8P8HAQ

Like that??

drspouse Tue 16-May-17 10:07:18

Yes that's the same kind of thing I linked to - but I'm still worried it will be a) not very flat on the bottom for the shower user and b) very deep to get into for the small DCs.

minipie Tue 16-May-17 12:00:05

Honestly, I think you can either have a roll top bath, or a shower over bath but the combination of both doesn't work very well.

What you've linked to is the best compromise but it will never be as comfortable for showering and for small DC as a more standard bath.

I'd choose something like Bette Ocean which is a fab bath for showering and for small DC as it has a square end and big internal area. But it's not a roll top.

drspouse Tue 16-May-17 12:36:32

I suspect you are right sob

It's been my dream... good thing we didn't spend any money on it.

Well, it will make a great raised bed in the garden.

Astro55 Tue 16-May-17 12:38:46

You can get baths with a build in seat part - so seat at one end and shower at the other

PigletJohn Tue 16-May-17 13:40:09

if it's an iron bath, nobody will want to carry it downstairs.

Plumbers usually break them up with a big hammer (the shards are sharp as glass).

drspouse Tue 16-May-17 15:08:06

Hmm maybe I'll offer it to an allotment dweller if they take it away...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now