Advanced search

general info on selling a house

(13 Posts)
CanadianJohn Sat 13-May-17 15:19:03

Sometime in the next year or so my wife will inherit a house in England - a semi near Nottingham, to be precise. The house has had one owner since it was built (1960-ish), and probably needs some work.

We intend to sell the house; I wonder is there is an online guide something like "legalities of selling a house". Apart from the legalities, there is also the practical issue of signing paperwork - should we give power-or-attorney to someone - assuming we can find someone.

Any thoughts?

wowfudge Sat 13-May-17 15:25:06

Just look online - there are plenty of guides around. When it comes to signing the paperwork, these days more and more people use solicitors and conveyancers they deal with by email and phone. We were 200 miles from the solicitor and he was nowhere near the house we were buying. You just need someone to certify your signatures - so pay a small fee to a local solicitor to witness your signature. You just take ID with you.

DancingLedge Sat 13-May-17 15:35:27

The ID can be verified by someone local, and certified copies posted.
You will need to sign and post any contracts: contract with solicitor, EA,and actual sale contract itself.

Everything else can be done by email/ phone.

Finding a good solicitor is key.

On the general what's involved in selling a house, maybe try "Which" - The Consumers Association.

Think about the tax aspects. If there is a possibility of IHT please get professional advice on this.

CanadianJohn Sat 13-May-17 16:54:09

The UK process for house purchases seems fraught with difficulties, compared with Canada. Here, for example, an accepted offer constitutes a contract (though sometimes subject to conditions, like financing, or inspections).

In addition, the UK seems to have mandatory inspections for electrical, gas, etc. Probably a good idea, from the buyer's point of view, but a PITA for the seller who is 4,000 miles away.

specialsubject Sat 13-May-17 17:15:39

Cobblers. There are no mandatory inspections for anything when selling a house in england or wales. Buyers can check whatever they want but don't have to.

CanadianJohn Sat 13-May-17 18:10:09

Thanks, Special, that's good to know. Maybe I'm confusing owners with the annual inspections that rental houses seem to have.

Within reason, we don't much care what the house sells for - I mean, we are not going to hold out for a high price.

wowfudge Sat 13-May-17 18:33:12

You need to get a good agent. Look at who is getting houses in the area sold.

specialsubject Sat 13-May-17 20:01:53

I used the really moving website for guidance but there may be something better now.

You don't need to be there to sell it, just instruct an agent - probably best not an online one as they charge peanuts and won't do viewings. Do not use an agent recommended solicitor - the commission paid means you will get very little work out of them.

There are also we buy any house people, but you would have to be seriously unbothered about price to use them.

Indaba Sun 14-May-17 17:14:44

I will get shot down in flames here but I would go for a more expensive agent. You get what you pay for. Not sure what sort of price it is but the bigger ones like Knight Frank, Savills etc but they really do the high end stuff have always served us well. If it's that type of house it may be worth investigating.,

Indaba Sun 14-May-17 17:16:55

Plus you will need to do a sellers pack. That can take a while. Nothing to stop you getting a copy and starting it now in draft so as soon as you can put it in the market you are good to go.

FadedRed Sun 14-May-17 17:24:06

If you are looking at selling quickly and with the least 'bother' on your part (perfectly reasonable given the distance), and given that the house needs work, then maybe look into selling at auction or to one of the companies that "buy any'.

specialsubject Sun 14-May-17 22:14:24

No sellers pack in england/wales, just an epc.

SnowBallsAreHere Sun 14-May-17 22:19:34

Indaba a 1960s semi in the midlands needing work doesn't need a high end agent.

OP, keep an eye on rightmove and zoopla for houses nearby, see which agents the neighbours are using, and which sell quickly.
Nearer the time, call a couple of them up. Don't forget that you can haggle on the commission charged. So it's always good to get more than one quote, and say to the other 'they would only charge x%, can you beat it?'

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: