Talk

Advanced search

DIY Kitchens - plans for install

(8 Posts)
EpoxyResin Sat 13-May-17 14:14:27

Those with DIY Kitchens experience, what design drawings did you give your installers to work off?

I'm thinking I'll draw some up... but perhaps I'm overestimating my capabilities! Or should I just given them the "cut and stick" floor plans (one for base units, one for wall units) I made? What about for the work surfaces/upstands?

My builder wants me to send them before the install so the electrician can plan where to put the sockets and the like when he rewires the kitchen. This will be happening before the kitchen's even installed, so I need them to be reasonable enough for him to work off.

Ta.

I originally used a free bit of kitchen design software to plan, but when I was giving it to the builders I just did a diagram on powerpoint with the dimensions of every unit and things like cooker, sink etc all clearly marked.

Worked absolutely fine tbh, just make sure your sizes are clear.

TheStoatIsStoatallyDifferent Sat 13-May-17 19:16:45

I gave mine a pencil drawing I'd done on graph paper which I'd copied from the cut out guide thing you get from their website. I did two, one front on to show the wall units and one overhead to show the base units. I put all the measurements on it and labelled everything.

Seemed to do the trick!

EpoxyResin Sat 13-May-17 19:23:54

Excellent - so - squared paper, lots of dimensions, overhead and front on angles and BAM, bob's your uncle. I think I can do that!

<<Rolls up sleeves and pulls propelling pencil from behind ear>>

It's so much less daunting when you hear of other people doing these things. I didn't think I'd even be able to design and order the kitchen in the first place, but it's done!

TheStoatIsStoatallyDifferent Sat 13-May-17 19:41:41

I was the same. I was so nervous that'd I'd miss something vital or that the workmen would laugh at my drawings but I gave copies to the joiner, plumber and electrician and no one batted an eyelid and they didn't need to clarify many details so I must have done a decent job!

Kitchen has been in almost three min now and I love it!

Moanyoldcow Sat 13-May-17 20:17:02

Pencil drawing on graph paper. Worked like a charm.

TheStoatIsStoatallyDifferent Sat 13-May-17 20:34:28

Three months not min. That would be odd

MrsT2007 Sat 13-May-17 20:37:58

I sent them the howdens plan with my amendments.

They literally sent me back a fullshopping cart ready to process.

Impressed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now