Talk

Advanced search

Non-standard sized doors

(5 Posts)
KimKardashiansArse Sat 13-May-17 14:11:45

Any idea where I can get them? I was thinking to get solid pine doors and cut them to size but it seems that even pine doors are veneered particleboard which you can't cut much off. I wanted something of a decent quality but I can't find anything at the moment. They need to match.

PigletJohn Sat 13-May-17 15:51:13

what size do you want?

there are more standard sizes than you might think

A photo of your current style please.

Are they fire doors?

KimKardashiansArse Sat 13-May-17 18:28:37

Not fire doors.

Chucked the old doors away a while ago but it's 4 panel Victorian style doors with decorative mouldings I'm looking for ideally. I did want a good quality solid wood, chose an oak veneer instead and then realised none of the doors were the right size and couldn't be trimmed by much.

Sizes of door openings:
196 x 75 (2 of these)
192 x 68
200 x 69.5

PigletJohn Sat 13-May-17 19:24:36

I don't remember seeing them with planted mouldings, but Premdor do solid core pine 4-panel Victorian style in sizes 762 and 711 wide, height only 1981

Have a look at the catalogue on www.premdor.co.uk/premdor-range-guide/index.html
I was looking at page 66.
Some other doors come in a larger range of sizes.

First thing is to find a well-recommended local chippy who will fit them for you, and should also know local suppliers. Doors can be cut down and re-lipped, and also have strips added to the top and bottom to add height. If you are in an district where there is a lot of gentrification and restoration, there may be a source of doors of the size you want.

These are the standard 35mm thickness, if your house is large or grand it may have had 44mm doors. You should be able to detect the original by measuring the rebate or doorstop in the door linings ("frames") which have to fit, or be made to fit, the door thickness.

If you are going to paint them you can use moulded doors, but not, please, the hollow or grained ones.

KimKardashiansArse Mon 15-May-17 17:09:12

That's brilliant advice. Thanks so much pigletjohn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now