Talk

Advanced search

Blinds for bifolds! Alternative ideas?

(15 Posts)
Noodlebugs1981 Fri 12-May-17 19:46:26

We are having 5m bifold in our new extension, but the quote for internal blinds is £2k more! Curtains would look weird (right?) and would external blinds potentially spoiling the effect of the doors? What do more people do for privacy?

shanghaismog Sat 13-May-17 08:14:54

We have roller blinds, sort of bamboo look ones in a 2 x 2 x 1 arrangement above the doors. Sounds awful and I was very dubious but works well and gives great flexibility in blocking sun glare.

Gimboid Sat 13-May-17 08:36:17

We use these: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/textiles-rugs/curtains-blinds/skogsklöver-roller-blind-grey-art-60314597/ They have a diffusing effect.

Gimboid Sat 13-May-17 08:37:06

Whoops link was http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/textiles-rugs/curtains-blinds/skogsklöver-roller-blind-grey-art-60314597/

MrsJamin Sat 13-May-17 08:38:39

We've got 4m bifolds and I haven't found many bright ideas, it's quite a gap in the market to find something affordable. I might look at those ikea ones though. How do they look from outside when it's dark outside, @gimboid?

namechangedtoday15 Sat 13-May-17 09:04:57

We don't have anything - are you particularly overlooked?

LindaBoughtAPeaShooter Sat 13-May-17 10:36:09

I agree about the gap in the market. Internal ones are prohibitively expensive and we just can't find a sensible alternative. At our old house in the end we resorted to one very long roller blind. It was suprisingly compact when up. It had a join but you couldn't see it when it was down at night (but could in the day when the light shone through). Major disadvantage was having to pull the whole thing up and down if you just wanted to go out of the single opening door. I might have a 2:1 part split of blinds this time (3m windows) if we do the same again.

Noodlebugs1981 Sat 13-May-17 13:27:53

Thanks very much! The roller blinds look good! And a huge one or two may be an option so the draw strings are kept at the side of the doors. Ps Although we aren't massively overlooked I like the idea of being enclosed and cost especially in the window!

shanghaismog Sat 13-May-17 13:39:37

It makes it much cosier in the evening too, instead of the gaping black hole...

MrsJamin Sat 13-May-17 15:45:00

We really annoying thing is that we have 5 doors, so do we get 5 blinds?! Its such an annoying number.

NomDePlumeReloaded Sat 13-May-17 15:50:04

Don't the protruding blinds get in the way and prevent you retracting the doors fully?

shanghaismog Sat 13-May-17 18:46:09

We did 1 for the 1st panel, then 2 more double ones. Totally doesn't get in the way, the doors fold out, not in. Spring loaded blind required in the middle though to avoid the dangly controller. I found it very hard to visualise and wasted such a lot of time mulling over options, hence posting photo 😂

shanghaismog Sat 13-May-17 18:46:59

You can also roll them right up

MrsJamin Sat 13-May-17 21:50:27

Can you adjust those ikea blinds to be an exact width?

Gimboid Sun 14-May-17 00:38:20

You can see through from the outside if the lights are on inside, we just got them to diffuse the sunlight as we aren't overlooked. They can be cut to size, just bought 2 more £25 quid each for the largest size, no chains to pull and they go up on their own ( just a little tug )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now