Talk

Advanced search

Signed contract - what next?

(7 Posts)
user1483181211 Fri 12-May-17 12:21:55

Having to ask as my rubbish solicitor appears to be ignoring me!!!

We signed our contract for our house move yesterday and sent it first class. How long now until exchange? I know that's like asking how long is a piece of string, but is exchange imminent do you think or could it still be weeks away?

I'm not talking about completion - I know this could be a while away, I just want to security of having exchanged.

Getting frustrated with this whole move now!!

MadeForThis Fri 12-May-17 12:34:31

We signed in a Monday and exchanged on Friday. It's different for everyone.

Sunnyshores Fri 12-May-17 12:42:02

We signed the contract quite early on last time we moved. Obviously it doesnt get sent anywhere until later and until everything ese is sorted, but in this case signing the contract wasnt an indication of closeness to exchange.

DoristheNovice Fri 12-May-17 13:28:08

It's difficult to say because our solicitor sent the contract much earlier in the process to sign, but we were told not to date it because they would add the date once all of the enquires were dealt with. Hopefully it won't be too long for you to wait.

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 12-May-17 13:38:05

Exchange happens after all searches and queries and any mortgage offer is in. Completion is often quite quickly after exchange.

Just ask your solicitor what else is there until exchange? Also if you are in a chain the whole chain will need to be ready. Have you been asked for deposit money yet? That usually means it is imminent.

MabelTheCow Fri 12-May-17 13:43:54

If you've signed a contract, that means all the contract terms have been agreed but until they're exchanged, you are not bound by this.
All contracts in the chain would normally be exchanged on the same day so you are possibly waiting on the rest of the contact terms in the chain to be agreed. This is because if one sale falls through because terms are not agreed, the other sales depending on it cannot take place but if you've exchanged, there are financial penalties to the sales not taking place.
Day for completion is set at the time of exchange as this has to be written onto the contracts too and processes set in place with the mortgage companies.

specialsubject Fri 12-May-17 21:09:42

If you have an idle hair flicker that you are paying, contact their boss. If they are the boss, phone every hour until the lazy bugger answers the question and charge for your time.

Client communication is such a basic skill...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now