Talk

Advanced search

Would you still view other properties once you've had an offer accepted & pull out if you found something you liked more?

(32 Posts)
Honey1975 Fri 12-May-17 10:27:24

We've had an offer accepted and have a buyer for ours. The house we are buying needs alot of work and complete modernisation but we like the space it offers.

I've still been keeping an eye out for houses coming on to the market and have seen one online that has a similar amount of space but looks like it needs much less doing to it. Obviously it would cost more to buy but the thought of having less work to do with a young family is appealing!

Should we view it? My morals tell me it would be so wrong to pull out of a purchase that is underway but it's such a lot of money we have to be certain surely we are getting the best possible house for us.

Has anyone else had experience of this?

Mommasoph30 Fri 12-May-17 10:35:38

No its bad karma

averythinline Fri 12-May-17 10:40:33

Look at it.... it is a major purchase and where you live has such a big effect on your life..
yes its not the best but if you are not far down the process the sooner the better to give your sellers a chance to re market

SAMlady Fri 12-May-17 10:42:37

I'd say yes, like you say it's the biggest purchase you buy, you have to get the best you can for you and your family.

It's legal to pull out till the day of exchange- though you and your current seller would both lose out on legal fees etc paid to date so I'm sure you wouldn't make the decision lightly.

The closer you are the tougher it is to do but the housing market is brutal and I was always told don't count on s house move till you've got the keys and crossed the threshold. It would be a shame if you were living in a house that didn't quite meet your needs and missing out for a few thousand pounds of legal fees and an obligation to the seller.

niceupthedance Fri 12-May-17 10:45:27

No I wouldn't, I'd make sure I 100 per cent wanted the property I'd offered on before doing so.

DoristheNovice Fri 12-May-17 10:48:46

Our buyers buyer pulled this trick which collapsed our chain. Our chain was chugging along nicely whilst all along our buyers buyer was going around looking, and offering on other properties. The gits didn't bother to let anyone know until it was noticed that they'd gone awol! I don't think it's fair, you either want the house or you don't.

I guess at the end of the day though it's a lot of money so the earlier you pull out, the better it is for all concerned.

Sunnyshores Fri 12-May-17 13:29:03

No, youve made a moral and verbal agreement to buy a house (still dont understand why that doesnt make it legal). Is this the way we're going to encourage people to behave and let this become the norm? Hideous behaviour in an already stressful situation.

Kokusai Fri 12-May-17 13:31:41

Yes - if something better comes on the market you aren't duty bound to go with your offer.

AnnieAnoniMouse Fri 12-May-17 13:36:49

Hmm. Well, I spend AGES looking & researching things, so I probably wouldn't be in this situation as I'd have driven the world and his dog mad finding 'the ideal place' (by ideal I mean best value for money or where I want it etc, there still might be loads if work to do on it). I definitely wouldn't still be looking because I wouldn't put an offer in if I didn't think it was as good as I could get.

However, if I saw one being advertised or an agent contacted me and it was better, then yes, I'd pull out. I'd feel bloody awful, but it's a HUGE purchase and sometimes you just have to put your own family first. I would, of course, make the decision quickly and let everyone involved know immediately. I wouldn't keep them hanging while the other sale was progressing.

YorkshireTea86 Fri 12-May-17 13:37:40

To me it would depend how far along it all was. If the surveys and things haven't been done yet I would. If people have started laying down money I wouldn't.

Honey1975 Fri 12-May-17 17:29:42

Thank you for the replies, some pretty mixed views on this as to be expected.

EssentialHummus Fri 12-May-17 17:32:45

I would at least view. This is a major purchase, no need to follow through out of politeness IMO. Fwiw when I viewed in similar circumstances (offer accepted on wreck, smaller cheaper less problematic property came on), I stuck with the wreck.

flumpybear Fri 12-May-17 17:48:59

Yes I'd view - it's a massive purchase you've got to get it right

userpol Fri 12-May-17 17:51:55

I would. I think anyone who says they wouldn't pull out of a chain under any circumstances is either a selfless hero or deluding themselves.

Almost everyone would think twice if they spotted a new better/dream property leaping up instead in the nick of time, even if it meant inconveniencing others. It sucks but then chains do.

(I haven't done this by the way, but can imagine.)

StripyBlanket Fri 12-May-17 18:13:16

I've looked at a few properties since we put our offer in and all it's done is reassure us that we are going for the right house. So although this new house might be great on paper, it might be very different in real life. Go and view it because otherwise you will always wonder what if

AyeAyeFishyPie Fri 12-May-17 18:34:14

Yes. Too much money to not be sure.

Orange80 Fri 12-May-17 20:05:28

I'd view too, it will be crap for the people who own the house you pull out of, but it's a huge decision and you've got to make the right one.

Good luck!

Harree Fri 12-May-17 21:52:33

We put an offer in on a house where the vendors can't complete until October. The not looking on Rightmove is killing me. confused

WillowB Fri 12-May-17 23:04:06

Yes keep looking!
I say this as we've had two house purchases fall through due to our vendors taking their properties off the market. It's best to keep an eye on what's happening just in case you need a plan b

engineersthumb Sat 13-May-17 00:37:24

I would view. In fact this same situation happened to us but in reverse. We had an offer accepted on a lovley victoriana 2 bed, but then a wreck of a 3 bed with a bigger garden became available. We pulled out and bought the other. Whilst I feel bad about it, it was a great house for us and our new family. You can't not look!

Honey1975 Sat 13-May-17 03:14:06

engineers how far along were you in buying the 2 bed? What reason did you give to the EA for pulling out?

TurquoiseDress Sat 13-May-17 10:23:50

I would definitely view the other property.

It's a massive purchase you going to make and it's got to be right for you and your circumstances.

But you need to make decisions quickly- if you are going to pull out, don't leave it till the last minute. I guess as others have already mentioned in the messages above.

Good luck

engineersthumb Sat 13-May-17 23:07:22

Hi honey,
We had arranged mortgages, I called the EA and just told him straight we'd had an offer on another property accepted and would be pulling out of the sale. Whilst I felt bad EA was very professional.

sheeeshh Sun 14-May-17 06:10:43

Would you be happy about your vendor continuing to allow viewings whilst the property is under your offer? In case something better comes along? If so, crack on.

The bloody system in this country really needs changing.

Chestervase1 Sun 14-May-17 06:38:29

If you make an offer on the other property it doesn't mean the sale will go through. They could also get a better offer and pull out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now