Talk

Advanced search

New Windows - Which Colour?

(10 Posts)
AlwaysaLittleBitTired Fri 12-May-17 09:54:07

Help please! We are replacing our windows and I need to choose a colour. What do you think?

The front doors are F&B Vert de Terre. That is an option for the window frames, but we're concerned that it might be too much. We live in a cul de sac, with our house being across the 'head' so stands quite prominently. The other houses are brown brick like ours, or white rendered. The brown houses have dark window frames and the white houses have white frames.

We're thinking the green, or possibly cream.

It would be a really expensive mistake to make if we choose the wrong colour and I feel that now I can't see the wood for the trees confused

senua Fri 12-May-17 10:49:42

I do like soft greens like yours but are they due to look dated soon, like grey paints? I think cream might be a better long-term solution, with fascia to match.
Alternately, you could do white windows with white pointing.

Love your garden! It says "welcome home".smile

AlwaysaLittleBitTired Fri 12-May-17 11:01:03

Thanks Senua. DH and my Dad spent a tough couple of days putting in the path, as we thought the house was crying out for one.

Green window frames are very traditional, it's one of the main colours used across England in the past before the advent of metal frames and then plastic. Probably something to do with the types of paint available (lead?). You're right though, that now it seems to be a 'lifestyle' colour.

What about beige?

senua Fri 12-May-17 11:12:23

When you say 'beige' do you mean 'a browny-cream colour that matches the brick'? I tried googling and saw some like that but they felt American to me. They looked OK in strong sunlight but I think in British light it could just look a bit washed out and sad.

5amisnotmorning Fri 12-May-17 11:22:11

We have a similar colour brick and are about to paint the frames cream althpigh not a yellowy cream.

AlwaysaLittleBitTired Fri 12-May-17 12:46:16

I was thinking something like this

www.farrow-ball.com/shaded-white/colours/farrow-ball/fcp-product/100201

Sunnyshores Fri 12-May-17 13:16:28

we've got a similar problem and have decided that green or grey is too fashionable. But finding the right beige/cream is impossible.

We also need faschia and guttering changing, I think to black as its more traditional and white would lead to probably only having white windows.

Im having time off from thinking aout it at the moment!!

AlwaysaLittleBitTired Fri 12-May-17 13:27:22

Sunnyshores - we need fascias/soffits and guttering too and I also was thinking black. At the moment we have a mix of brown, white and reddish brown painted (!! confused !!) gutters and downpipes.

TheBakeryQueen Fri 12-May-17 14:00:58

I think having it all white rendered (is that an option?) with green frames to match your door would look amazing. I think it's a classic colour. Won't date imo but I don't think it would go with the brick.

cazzyc Fri 12-May-17 14:02:24

Used outside, Shaded White would look practically white. We have just painted our windows in Bone, but don't know how that would match your front door...personally, I would go for cream for your windows and fascias. Guttering should be black and inconspicuous in my opinion. See attached for photos of how Bone looks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now