Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone done their own tenant reference checks?

(5 Posts)
PoochiePie Thu 11-May-17 09:24:09

We are moving from England to Scotland, where apparently it's not legal to make tenants pay for referencing or admin fees on a property. We were asked to fill in our details but not told we would need to pay for referencing until we got a call asking for £90 (MARAS), and the agent said that's fine because it's a third party we are paying not them. I questioned this and the landlord has come back after some time saying either we can use a different company or do it ourselves.
Has anyone managed to do their own referencing? If so what do I need to do? Do I just send 3 payslips, 3 bank statements, proof of paying our mortgage, credit check and proof of employment to the agent??
Or can you recommend a different company? All the ones they suggest seem to aimed at landlords and letting agents to get references and have no info about cost.

ecosln Thu 11-May-17 14:57:35

I use tenant verify - part of landlord zone. Was a negligible amount for my tenant s to pay maybe £35pp, so not an issue for you to pay and get it done professionally

specialsubject Thu 11-May-17 16:15:22

Cynically - I wondered how this was working in Scotland where shelter trumpet that rents did not rise after fees were banned. Now I know!

Sunnyshores Fri 12-May-17 13:32:23

Experian do them £30pp

MoreProseccoNow Fri 12-May-17 18:14:37

From Shelter Scotland:

http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/getadvice/advicee_topics/findingaa_placetoo_live/rentingprivately/lettingg_agencies

I think the LL is pulling a fast one; my understanding is that (s)he needs to pay:

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now